Instant WTB - Land Camera

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by andreios, Feb 6, 2014.

1. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi folks,
    it seems that I have finally given up my Polaroid/Fujiroid resistance...
    I'd like to buy a cheap-ish simple Polaroid Camera to use with Fuji peel-apart films - FP-100C and if I manage to get my hands on some - the FP-3000B. I looked round the german ebay, found some cameras, but somehow didn't fancy the risk of buying a long time unused camera. So I thought that many of you have, ehm, forgive me for saying this, more cameras than you really need... :smile:

So if anyone would be interested in making me a peel-apart convert and sell me a nice simple but working camera for wasting some fuji peel-apart film, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading :smile:

PS: I very much prefer to buy within EU to avoid customs hassles.

2. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know about pricing there but here in the US, the cheapest Land Cameras that use the pack film are the the ColorPack line. They tend to go for $10 USD or less in working condition.

I think most people don't realize the film for them is still available and thus they part with them cheaply.

I was given a Colorpack IV by a friend and it lead me to buying a Land Camera 101, 320, and 2 others.

IMHO, try to find one with the rangefinder for focusing, even if it means spending a little more money. Trust me on this, RF focusing is way better then the zone stuff.

What is your budget? Im sure one of us here can help you find what you want cheaply and send you into a happy peel apart frenzy.

3. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I know near to nothing about land cameras, I would indeed prefer a rangefinder over scale focusing...
    I imagined making this purchase under $50 to leave enough cash for film...

4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have a Polaroid 1000 that uses SX-70 film packs, no guarantee as to it working. - Yours for the unbeatable price of £0.00 plus shipping.
    If you can find a better deal, take it. :tongue:

5. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your very kind offer Paul, no better deal in sight yet, but I think I'll stick with the original plan of a land camera... I like to have as few cameras as possible.

6. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Polaroid Big Shot is my instant shooter of choice. Very fun camera!

7. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Things to consider beyond the zone vs RF focus system...

Many of the Land Cameras use a custom battery that will need to be replaced with modern batteries. The Model 100/200/300 series are usually 4.5v (I think some are less or more but all of mine are 4.5v) and so you'll need to get a 3 AA battery holder and replace the old battery. Or if you are clever, you can use a 9v with a resistor to cap it at 4.5v output.

The shutter system on the nicer folding Land Cameras is much easier to use then the Colorpack. The folders use a shutter cocking lever and then the shutter button itself is very easy to press. The Colorpack has a pressure button as the shutter that takes a little more strength to press and as a result, if you aren't really steady, you can slightly rotate the camera as a result of pressing the shutter.

The zone focus versions are usually in feet not meters. For me this is odd since I am American and used to feet but with cameras I am so used to meters. Some of the zone focus models also have a little square in the viewfinder that is for portraits, you are supposed to set the camera's focus to the mark for portraits and get the models face in that square to have focus. it's supposed to aid in focusing but I find it to be less accurate then I'd like so I measure and hope for the best.

The RF system comes in 2 kinds, the standard system which is common on the 100 and 300 models and then there's the Zeiss RF system which is coveted and comes at a higher price. I believe it comes on the 250 models and a few others. I've used both and I don't see a huge difference honestly. For the RF system, you have 2 holes liek many older RF cameras. The RF hole is tiny, but it's very easy to get focus in, then use the big easy to see viewfinder for composing. I've not had any issues with it. The only thing you need to note is, make sure if you get a folding LC with the RF system, make sure your camera fully expands completely. I had one or two that did not fully expand and this throws off focus.

The other thing that seems to be a preference kind of thing is the chemical press system on these. It comes in two formats... bars that press the chemicals out and spread them and rollers which do a much more even job of pressing the chemicals out and spreading them. Some prefer the rollers over the spreader bars. I honestly don't have a preference and use both. The key is to make sure that keep either one clean and if you use rollers, make sure they are clean and roll freely.

Last note, some models of LC have a LCD timer back on them. These models can sometimes press into the filmpack and make it difficult to pull out the shot. I'd read that some people remove the timer system completely, other's will just gently barely open the body enough to get the shot out, then close and pull. This isn't a problem once you are about 2-3 shots into the pack from I understand.

My suggestion, still, find a cheap Colorpack series with the AA batteries and play with it. Then once you are in love and ready to spend a little money, get a 250 or something fun! :D

8. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your explanation and sharing your knowledge!

9. Captain Slack

Captain Slack Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    andreios, any luck finding a cheap working Land Camera in your area? I keep seeing them here all over the place for cheap and think of you.

I think it would cost around $20-30 USD to ship one from here to you... But you have to have a good thrift/resale shop somewhere in your area with cameras. I think everyone does. But I am from the US and things here are different so who knows.

11. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thank you so much for you interest - it is not easy to find polaroid cameras here - our country was behind the "iron curtain" at the time when the world has experienced the popularity of the polaroids, so to find one is rather difficult.
    However, a friend from another forum has offered me a loan of his 250, just that I may try it and find if I like it. If I do (which I hope I will), then I'll start the hunt in earnest. :smile:

12. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Starting with the 250 will spoil you and a simpler cheaper one will not do. The 250 is the crown jewel of the packfilm Polaroids with it's delightful Zeiss rangefinder! :D

If you do decide you are ready to get something and don't mind a little postage and such, I will be glad to help you find one here that fits your needs and send your way. :D

13. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I do not mind being spoiled... :smile: But thanks for your offer, I'll let you know just how much I am spoiled... :smile: