instructions on how to replace old folder bellows

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by spoolman, Jun 18, 2009.

1. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Sep 7, 2007
    Toronto Onta
    Med. Format Pan
    A few questions:Does there exist a comprehensive volume of instructions on how to replace the bellows on old folding cameras specifically old Kodak Folders especially the Monitor 616?,Is there a source of those small rivets and the tool to set them for old folding cameras and finally what is shutter grease and where can I find it or is there a practical substitute available?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Apr 3, 2004
    Multi Format
    Shutter grease, 50 ft of flight line & a bucket of prop wash have one thing in common. They don't exist.
    The only points in a shutter that get grease are a couple of latch points. The blade operating ring, housing & blades should be dry. A LIGHT(not 3in1) oil is used for pivot points and escapement lube. It should flow like water & is used a drop at a time. I use the eye of a sewing needle for application. Dip into the oil & just touch the pivot.
    There are several articles around for bellows making, I think I've seen some here.
    The rivets you're looking for MAY be available from McMaster-Carr or possibly> Microtools is probably the best source for small tools needed for camera repair.
    Tomosy's book "Restoring & Repairing Classic Cameras" Is an excellent source of information if you're just starting in this hobby(?).