interest in bronica S2A nikkor 50 2.8?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rphenning, Jun 2, 2010.

1. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have listed this thing on ebay, here, and rangefinder forum a few times and no one has bitten. Do people still use the s2? Seemed like a great camera whe nI had one. Just curious.

2. RustedChrome

RustedChrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'd love to have one but I can't invest much into it. It seems like the SQ and ETR series get all the support and use nowdays.

3. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    is it even a good lens? I broke my S2 before I got to use anything but the 200mm

4. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My good friend has, and uses, an S2 as his only medium format camera, he likes it quite a bit, and I've seen some outstanding negatives turned out by him.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have one, and it's a very good lens, but the market for pretty much all medium format equipment has been depressed for a while, and S-era Bronica equipment hasn't been selling for a very high price unless it's something unusual, which isn't to say it isn't worth using.

6. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    yeah the slides i got back from the one roll i shot with it looked amazing. wish i hadn't broke it. being 16 sucked.

7. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few people use the bronica.. but as it was a fairly unreliable camera to begin with, and now quite venerable, there is not much demand.

my first medium format camera was a bronica S. I really liked it and I was very pleased with the quality of the images.

However it locked up very badly. I replaced it with an S2 which sometimes worked, but I much prefered the rack-and pinion focussing of the original S.

I sold it a few years back. While I miss shooting 6x6, I dont plan on going back to the Bronica S system simply for reliability/repair issues.

8. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That 50mm Nikkor is a sweet lens. I had an S2 system and liked it a great deal.

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Nikkor 50/2.8 is also more desirable than the 50/3.5, not only because it's a more advanced design, but it uses 77mm filters, so it can take more common lens shades and accessories.

10. skuuterboy

skuuterboy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been looking for the Nikkor 2.8/50 for my Bronica S2A. I have the older 3.5/50 nikkor but am keen on the newer faster lens. I'm interested.