Interesting videos on Kenro Izu’s Platinum work

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Davec101, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Having been a fan of Kenro Izu’s work for a long time its great to finally find some videos about his work and the way he processes his prints. I stumbled across these videos whilst looking for information on printing Cyanotype over platinum which he has done in the past and are stunning, a process i would like to try in the next couple of weeks. Only wish there was a longer videos about him.

There are two videos at : http://www.pem.org/izu/theartist.html

Direct links are :

One brief one on his work : http://www.pem.org/izu/high.html

And one on the way he processes his prints. : http://www.pem.org/izu/process.html (love the way he dumps his developer on the print :smile: )

Although these small videos they are a nice insight into this master photographer and printers work.

(You need QuickTime or Realplayer installed to watch.)

There is a longer text file of the interview at : http://www.pem.org/izu/interview_text.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2007
  2. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link. Wouldn't it be great if he came to Foto3?

Regards, Art

3. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is Foto3 in the U.S? i dont know much about it.
    I would really like to meet him for sure, i know of other people who have met him and had nothing but kind comments about him as a person.

Did he go to APIS(Alternative Photographic International Symposium) this year, i remember vaugly seeing something about in on the Bostick site. I am sure is one of there best customers, with all that platinum he puts down onto paper :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2007
  4. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Thanks for several interesting links. I saw some of Izu's work at the Paul Paletti Gallery in Louisville and it was amazing.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I saw one of his shows in Toronto at the Tatar Alexandar Gallery over 10 years ago and his work was absolutely stunning. Very large prints of beautiful tonal range . Angor is such a remarkable location, and his prints really conveyed the earth, roots and stone of that location.

6. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I remember seeing his Cyanotype over Platinum work last year at Photo Paris and it too was stunning, the tonality was a sight to behold. I think he sold about three or four at the show, not bad at $5000 a print :smile:

Having read the interview its very interesting and refreshing to hear that he has also done quite a bit of charity work for the places that he has visited and taken photographs of, for example 'Angkor'. If i remeber correctly he helped get a hospital up and running for the community with some of his own money i believe.

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He was a keynote speaker at APIS this year - if he's not off photographing somewhere next June, he might be amenable to being a speaker at Foto3. And I agree, his work, even the "just platinum" stuff, is breathtaking.

8. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks David - very interesting :smile:

9. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul had that set up in the conference room when I was there. Truly beautiful. If you saw the ones I did, they were gravures I believe. They've haunted me since and it is a process on my list to learn. A dealer of mine has been moving a lot of his platinum work lately as well. Gorgeous stuff...

Anyone know where I can get one of those cool developer tray shields he uses? The faster I pour the PO, the better my results with large prints. I always hold back a bit to keep the splash down to a minimum. Never thought of a shield like this. He really dumps it in there!

Bill

10. bwphoto

bwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ---------The 'shield' he is using is nothing more than a 10" high or so piece of plexiglas formed to fit the top lip of the developing tray. Looks simple to build and could be fab'd from 1/8" thick plexi' instead of the 1/4" one that appears on Kenro's tray. Ah, what a setup and he makes it look so easy, as well.