International Call for Photographic Entries: The Center for Fine Art Photography

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Wigwam Jones, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not familiar with The Center for Fine Art Photography, which apparently is located in Fort Collins, Colorado. I did a brief search of the web looking to see if they might be legit or scammers, but could find little. Therefore, I pass this information along only as a heads up to those who may be interested:

http://www.c4fap.org/

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2006/6/emw399338.htm

I hope I have posted this in the proper location. I have no involvement with The Center for Fine Art Photography, but I do enjoy entering contests, competitions, and exhibitions where there is juried judging or feedback and I thought I'd pass it along for anyone else who might be interested.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As ever, digging into the small print is advisable:

Entry Fee
    · Submit up to three images for a nonrefundable fee of $35.00 USD.
    · The entry fee for members of The Center for Fine Art Photography is $20.00 USD.
    · Applicants signing up for membership at the time they submit their work for jurying may become a member and meet the entry fee for a total of $65.00 USD, a savings of $15.00. Membership includes annual subscription to CameraArts magazine and other benefits listed on the Center’s website.
    · Additional images may be submitted for $10 each.

Furthermore, any images selected for exhibition must be supplied framed and ready to hang - really impractical for non-US people.

3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Having work in Camera Arts is very good for ones photographic work.
    Thanks for posting this thread.

4. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Always recommended.

I hear you. Well, I am not the contest people, and I am not equipped to read minds or bank accounts. Just passing on information. If it does not work out for you, I'm sorry to have bothered you.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have to been to this "center" three times in the last year. The work varies from absolutely stunning to absolute beginner. It is a nice space that now occupies what I think is a giant attic in an arts building in a beautiful section of Fort Collins.

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The requirements that are presented by the Center are not unusual for a regional organization. And I doubt that they have the funds to mount and frame a large influx of photos for a show.
    We at the Valley Photo Center have a couple of exhibits like this each year. It is a good fund raiser, a lot of people get to see their work presented and the reception is always a good party. Our current show is one like this (except for all the prizes) and there are over 70 photographers and close to 200 photos on display.
    As far as the framed & ready to hang rule... you'd be suprised how many people ignore this or interpet this very loosely.
    If the Center is within reach, it sounds like a good event.

gene

7. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Only one juror and it has to be;

"Andrew Darlow...He was the former Editorial Director at Digital Imaging Techniques magazine."

Let's hope he's not biased in any way.........

Murray