Interpositives vs Digital negs for Alt process

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by cynan, Oct 23, 2006.

1. cynan

cynan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been scouring the internet for 'OHP Digital Neg' advice for my epson r2400 (pooling, banding problems) to no avail.

How expensive are interpositives, and where can I get them done in the UK?:confused: It's just that this digital experimentation is getting expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  2. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Discussion of digital negs was formerly consigned to the "Gray Area." Now it should take place at HybridPhoto.com, dedicated to digital/traditional hybrid processes. I'll leave this thread open, as long as it is about how to make or where to get traditional interpositives.

In answer to the question--you could make them yourself using ortho film or a relatively neutral film like TMX in your own darkroom. Do a search on "enlarged negatives," and you should turn up a few threads on the process. Here are a couple of them--

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6609

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3974

Another method, if you have access to a large camera, is to make a small print and dupe it with the larger camera.

Also, take a look at www.dr5.com. They can make enlarged negatives on film directly using a reversal process, so no interpositive is required.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  4. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have an enlarger, enlarged negs by direct reversal are a high-quality option, too. I use Liam Lawless' process. You may get every bit as good negs as with interpositives, but this process also needs a certain amount of experience. If you are interested in details, tell me.