Intro from Istanbul

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by semrich, May 28, 2011.

1. semrich

semrich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all, my name is Richard Weathered, I'm still finding my way around the forum and just discovered this thread so my apologies for the late introduction.

I'm currently residing in Istanbul, Turkey. After moving to Istanbul from the U.S., six years ago I realized I wanted to get a camera and begin photographing the people and places I was experiencing while being here. I began with a small point and shoot digital camera and soon was hooked. After careful consideration of what I was interested in photographing I moved into the world of rangefinder cameras and photographing people and places here and when traveling. After spending time on rangefinder related forums and having M lenses I took the plunge into the new learning curve of film cameras that has led from 35mm to 120 MF, vintage cameras, developing my own film and scanning.

I signed up here some time ago after I transitioned to film. At that time I had no access to a darkroom and printing, Recently access to a darkroom materialized and I feel that I can participate here more in the true spirit of this forum. In doing so I now have the new challenge of learning to print. From the photos I've been viewing in the gallery I expect that I will learn a lot here.

Time in the darkroom is limited to when I am free to do so and also involves an hour or more commute each way just to get there. Meanwhile I've been posting some of my photos, some scanned from negatives and a few of my successful prints from the darkroom, a number somewhere less than ten. Be patient I will post more prints as I get to printing them. Posting my scans from negatives here and the response to them is a good measure for me of which photos are worth spending the time printing.

For any members who are interested in seeing more of my work it can be found at: http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

Disclaimer: There are a few digital images in my own gallery, though not to many.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Richard and a warm welcome to APUG! I enjoy 120 medium format myself.

Jeff

3. David Hatton

David Hatton Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hosgeldiniz Richard,
    I love your Istanbul photographs. Beautifully observed and executed
    David

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, interesting work.

Printing is fun, facinating, and frustrating, kinda like women.

5. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some of your pictures are so good that could be used as a manifesto to show how interesting street photography can be.

6. semrich

semrich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your warm welcome and to David and Fabrizio their comments about my gallery, I appreciate it.

7. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Richard -- you have a really nice gallery. Can't wait to see some of your work here as well!

8. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hah, you got a portrait of Ara Güler. That's not a bad start!! Ara doesn't look too happy though :smile:

Welcome to APUG. Maybe our paths will cross one day, as I'm also mainly a street photographer.

9. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Richard.

10. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richard - a belated hello and welcome to APUG!

11. semrich

semrich Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mooseontheloose, ooze, Chazzy, and papagene, thank you all for your comments and welcoming me to APUG.