Introducing CurtisNeeley

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by CurtisNeeley, Oct 9, 2007.

1. CurtisNeeley

CurtisNeeley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was once a professional photographer and used primarily medium format and 4x5.

What would you do if you had a car wreck that erased most of your memories of the past and left you paralyzed?

I was left with the full use of one arm and a huge amount of photographic equipment I could not remember using. I sold most of it and am giving the rest I do not use away.

I spent most of the last 5 years in hospitals and rehab. Months straight in bed is no fun. I still love to take photographs. It can still be done occasionally. I spent most of my time in bed and on the internet. I am only here because I heard it mentioned on a Lenswork --- podcast."Three Photographers Who Inspire Me"

I do not seem to fit in here so I might just fade away.....

CurtisNeeley.com......My personal website.

FigureNUDE .....My fine art B&W nudes. Some done from a wheelchair.

Groupf16 A group of photographers who do a lot of work I love. I am the "flounder" of it.

P.S. I hope I have not offended too many in my first few posts. In the grand scheme of things photography is not that important.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG, Curtis. I know we've got at least one other APUG member working from a wheelchair. I hope you stick around.

3. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curtis,

First, welcome to APUG.

Second, I now remember you from a couple other Community Forums where you came in, started some interesting threads, made some interesting statements, and the subsequent posts are kind of being repeated here.

I am amazed and I fully admire that you have the guts to enjoy photography and that you still strive to continue to do something you like, despite the harsh setback you have suffered.

Can I suggest you stay and particpate? And can I also offer that, if things don't exactly go the way you envision, not to just throw up your arms and leave? Why not hang here, read, contribute ideas, post images if you can, provide feedback on gallery images?

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Curtis. I hope you stay, but can understand if you don't.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes when one joins a forum and they want to get into something that may be controversial, it helps to introduce themselves first.

Good introduction, welcome to APUG.

Steve

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Curtis,

Welcome to APUG. I'll stand by my post in the other thread, but that certainly doesn't mean you are not welcomed here, and I hope you stay and participate. The other thread is bound to be a bit controversial, and hopefully will expand your understanding of the membership here, and the diverse views taken by them. Its not generally a place where persons rant at each other, and though some reply's are certainly light hearted jabs, many (such as mine, I hope,) also simply take issue with bits of the manifesto. You are certainly welcome to refute any of it.

In any case, give it some time, and get involved in some threads about other things that interest you about analogue photography. You will find that many of the same persons who took a poke will also bend over backwards to solve a problem, or lend some help.

Best,

J Brunner

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Curtis, welcome from Hawaii.

8. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No sweat Curtis: you're not the first to make a splash with your initial dive into the deep end :wink: . In any large group there will be people that disagree and others who agree with you.

Enjoy your time here.

Cheers, Bob.

9. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Curtis. Welcome from Canada, eh?

10. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to Apug. Your situation is a reminder than any one of us can have the same thing or similar happen at a moment's notice. It's truly a reminder to take one day at a time and don't take yourself too seriously. thanks for posting your website that gives loads of insite into you. Best to you.

11. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Curtis,

George (copake_ham) asked me to pass along his welcome from NYC. He is unable to pass along a greeting himself today, but asked me to do it for him. He is a really great guy, and his friendliness is one of the reasons I enjoy participating here.

Welcome,

12. CurtisNeeley

CurtisNeeley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all guys! I will stay. I might even shoot some flim. I have lots of flim shots I once did but I might try it again. I taught darkroom once to children from my chair!. SEE

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi curtis

it is great to see you here.
    thanks for making people think (your thread).
    i think you will like it here, there
    is a lot of knowledge floating around,
    and people will bend over backwards to lend a hand.

looking forward to more of your posts!

john

14. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Curtis,
    Welcome to APUG - I hope you do stay and fit in.
    It must take a lot of confidence to post about your unfortunate situation on a public forum. As jnanian said, this makes others think, so thanks for that.
    I had a look at your websites - there's some great work in there. May you go on to create much more and share it with us here :smile:

15. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Curtis,
    I had back surgery from an industrial accident and spent a considerable time in bed and rehab. I know that feeling, I wrote and internetted and looked forward to the day that I would be back at it again. Some seven years later and a forced retirement and I am still working my way out of that black hole. I hope you get better and continue your interest in photography and welcome.

Curtis

16. CurtisNeeley

CurtisNeeley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt,
    I am as better physically as I will ever get. That is until they can grow new spinal cords with stem-cells or other. When they do that, I will still be short two legs and will not be able to use my left side too well because of the stroke. I am enjoying my 'forced' retirement and trying to keep it clear in my mind that I am happy to have retired so young. I will stick around here because it gives me something to do.