Introducing Kim mutikainen

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Kimmutikainen, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Kimmutikainen

Kimmutikainen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all,

First of, I am not new to the forums as I have used it as a resource to get started with analog photography, this is however my first post.

I can start with a litle history of how I became interested in analog photography. It all happend a day in front of my computer,editing a photo from a wedding. I was unsatisfied and utterly bored of editing photos in PS, and I felt that the final photo never was really my work. I started to think about how it was done before the digital age, which again led to alot of google search about analog photography and developing. A few weeks later a nice old man sold me his Bronica GS-1 in mint condition(reminds me of me still owing him some norwegian brown cheese) via ebay. Weeks passed and finaly a note arrived that I had a package waiting at the local post office. The joy!

I started shoting some film, and a few weeks later developing equipment was ordered. First try was, well...lets say it was not good:smile: but the second roll came out just perfect. I can not describe the feeling. I had taken the photo without any hi-tech technology assitsting me, and I had developed the film my self. I had never felt so satisfied, even though it was far from beeeing a print:smile:

So here I am, a 31 year old man from Norway, deeply fasinated And eager to take this further. only difficulty I see is to have time to do this after time is spent at work, with family and other comitments, buy I am sure I will find some way:smile:

I like beeing able to read about other peoples experiences herr at apug, and in books related to the subject, but I wish the were some people/groups in my city(bergen) who had experience and was willing to teach a beginner like me.

Well that was a short story of how I ended up here, and hopefully I will be able to contribute with experience as time goes.

Br
    Kim mutikainen
    Bergen
    Norway

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kim - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA. You've joined a great community here on APUG! :D

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

4. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you can find someone local to share your growing passion with. I have a friend in the next town. We get together to take our Yashicas out for excercise every now and then.
    Until you find someone, the APUG community can be a pretty good substitute. One of it's advantages is that you can ask a question at 3 in the morning, and probably get it answered before daybreak. Local friends won't be happy to answer questions at that hour.

Enjoy!

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Kim.

6. phelger

phelger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hello Kim,
    first I wish you luck and happiness with your photography. Making prints you hang on your walls and you are proud of is an excellent beginning. Don't push it too much, you've got the time because time it takes! Have you or do you plan to get a darkroom? or do you plan to have your photos made externally? Tell us about that. I don't know the Bronica GS1 - I have the Bronica 6x6 SQ-B...super! I develop and print both 35mm and 120 film.
    look forward to see you here again.
    Peter
    ica

7. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

and "welcome home" as they say around here. :smile:

Bergen is a very beautiful city, with a lot of photo opportunities. I am sure you'll find some locals via the SkandinAPUG subforum here.

8. jensriis

jensriis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Velcome to APUG, velkommen til APUG :smile:

always nice to see "new" photographers turn to analog photography.

I recently returned to analog after 7 years of digital.

Enjoy

- Jens

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Kim and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Kimmutikainen

Kimmutikainen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the welcome Peter,

I plan on converting a storage room in the house to a darkroom, it is right next to the bathroom, so getting the plumbing done should not be to much work.
    Been trying to figure out which enlarger to get for 6x7 B&W, but so far I am still uncertain. Not many in Norway selling enlargers it seems, even used ones. Might be that I buy a brand new one, upper limit about 1500 USD. I know I can can one hell of an enlarger used for that kind of money but then i have to buy it from overseas and I am sceptical about buying something like that unseen, packaged and sent by someone I do not know.

Kim

12. randomm

randomm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Kim!

you must have a better idea of the situation in Norway, but here in Finland enlargers are often sold or even donated through local photography forums. I have not done any wet printing for 15 years myself (which is a shame!), but I would not think that you would have to invest so much money in getting started in it as there should still be plenty of school labs etc getting rid of their equipment...

Just my two pence!

cheers,

Jani

13. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello and welcome, Kim.

I have been rather busy lately with new job and other stuff, or I would have jumped in and said hello earlier!

14. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Kim! Like you, I face a similar problem in Japan. New enlargers are possible to come by, but used ones are sold for almost as much as new which is a bit hard on the wallet (and piece of mind!). Good luck with finding yours.

15. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Velkommen ^^

Almost in the same boat as you.
    I am 37 now, but started up with a little analogue 35mm shooting and developing (and scanning) at 32.
    I feel I am really riding solo concerning analogue, because almost every person I know that takes photos as a hobby/profession, use digital.

it actually feels good to swim against the stream to be honest. No one can touch you! =D
    - Although I still shoot digital in "dynamic" situations, like events or situations that need speedy editing and delivery and studio/model sessions which require "fashion editiong" in photoshop etc.

Concerning used stuff: There are a lot of good used stuff on foto.no/bruktmarked and on finn.no (see http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bruktmarked/visAnnonser.cgi?utstyrtypeid=14 and for instance this one after searching for "mørkeromsutstyr" : http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=31941982 , I have no idea if Kaiser is considered good or bad though, but stuff is out there.).

I bought a Durst 670 enlarger via finn.no three weeks ago, which occupy some space in my bathroom, I am very happy with it =D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  16. therese

therese Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Välkommen! Visst är det häftigt att analogt foto kan fascinera så mycket!