Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Nigel, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I have been hanging around reading the forums here for some time and finally got around to contributing to become a subscriber, so it must be time to introduce myself.

My name is Nigel and I use film. I have no power over film. I believe the greater power (one of Kodak or Fuji, not sure which) can restore me to sanity. I have surrendered myself to the power of Ilford. I have made a moral inventory (although I'm not sure why) and have admitted my exposure errors and realize that I am powerless to correct them. I have not bothered making a list of all the people I have photgraphed and consequently will not be making amends for those mistaken exposures...

But a bit more seriously, I am located in Toronto. I have taken to nights, as it is both challenging and when I tend to have time to shoot.

I used to be a pretty dedicated 35mm photographer, but upon getting a Pentax 67II 2 years ago, have become enamoured with medium format, although not to the exclusion of 35mm.

Back in highschool (a long time ago) I did B&W processing. This lead to me rediscovering the darkroom several years ago upon rekindling my interst in taking photos. I have expanded my repetoire however, and now do lots of E-6 as well as some B&W. I don't have the space, nor frankly the inclincation, to set up a full darkroom for printing, so I scan film.

Now, enough of this, there are some night shots from this weekend that are in need of processing.

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Nigel, from western Massachusetts.

gene

3. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Nigel,

Welcome from Hawaii. You are lucky, you live in Toronto, home of Elevator Gallery. Check them out, they have some great offerings.

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome Nigel.

6. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Nigel

7. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Nigel, I'm sure you'll enjoy the apug community and we look forward to seeing your work.

8. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  9. alexdz

alexdz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Nigel, welcome to APUG!

Alex

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please to say hi

I know where you are at trying to find time to take shots. By the time arrives to take shots, the family duties of dinnertime and getting kids to bed, etc means the sun is long gone. Mostly I shoot in the summer during holidays and on weekends, and work on these shots through the winter.

I too run 120 and 35mm. I still do run a wet darkroom, when I find the time to get there, and all of this stretchs back to my high school B&W experiences like you.

There are a fair collection of film shooters on the site in the GTA - I can think of a half dozen quite readily. I have met quite a few when Bob Carnie holds an event, and we all drop around to see what is going on. Then there are more prolific posters who are from all over the world, but thanmks to the web here, might as well be sitting next door for the information that we all share.

11. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    welcome form the south west coast.

12. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have thought about visiting many times, however, it is outside of my comfort zone; I rarely venture north of Queen St. and when I do, I try to stay south of Bloor. :smile:

13. Nigel

Nigel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You mean it all gets tougher with kids :surprised: My photography will suffer more!

Actually, I travel for work on a reasonably frequent basis. By the time everything is done, it is usually dark and I find spending an hour or two taking pictures before retiring for the night quite relaxing.

14. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Time to get out of your comfort zone. I visited Toronto for the APUG Conference in 2006, and loved the city, loved the atmosphere, loved the local APUG members (Uncle Bill took a lot of his personal time to show me around the city), and found the crew at Elevator fantistic. That one expericence is enough to make me want to visit there again. Great city.

15. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group, Nigel. Good to have you on board.

16. spiralcity

spiralcity Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome Nigel.