IR film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jorge Oliveira, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

There was a thread re Ole's vacations that covered IR films.
    Since I've never used this type of film (and probably never will), could someone comment in why to use it?

Thanks,

Jorge O

2. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use it mostly for the special effects (funny folige, black skys) that it exhibits.

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went through a big IR phase. I loved the idea of photographing light which I could not see. I felt like I discovered a hidden world and wanted to keep exploring it. At the time I was also in a dark and depressing mood, and IR gave me a great way to express it. It's very addictive film once you get to know it. I also pulled of some shots with it I could not have gotten otherwise. For example dark green lilipads in a water bog would not show up with standard film, but IR they would glow white surrounded by the black water.

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of work prints in the critique gallery (on page 3 at the mo') using Kodak HIE IR film which give some idea of the effects that you get using this sort of film.

Mind you, after seeing them your question may remain the same...! :smile:

Regards,

Frank

"A fate WORSE than a fate worse than death? Sounds pretty bad!" - Edmund Blackadder

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My latest in the critique gallery is a "typical" IR shot: Shallow lake, brown water, bright day, lily pads. All murky grey on "ordinary" film, bright white/deep black on IR.

6. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IR can be almost like conventional film yet subtly different-you can give reality a little bit more of a twist, make your pictures more otherworldly. The Kodak can be a bit over the top (depending on how you treat it) but the Konica is much more subtle. Look forward to trying Maco.

BD

7. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IR film is also wonderful for taking cloud shots, great contrast and detail with Konica 750.

8. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, guys.
    When I have a chance of traveling abroad I will try to get some IR film just to play with it.

Jorge O