IR fim and grain

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by stradibarrius, Aug 26, 2010.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of the things that was nice about Kodak HIE was the grain. The new EFKE 820 Aura has less grain specially when you shot M/F.
    Do you think shooting the film in 35mm format would give more of the grainy look of HIE???

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It wouldn't be possible to tell unless you tried them side by side. I would recommend buying some and trying it. From what I understand the Aura lacks the antihalation treatment, same as the Kodak HIE. So much of the look could potentially be retained. But the spectral sensitivity is different, please see the attachment.
    There is a pretty interesting document online about the Efke film, in the MACO iteration, which I believe is the same film:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/MACO_IR820c_AURA.pdf

Here is a picture on Flickr that could help you decide if you like the look or not.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38463255@N00/1700124927/

You may want to use Rodinal or something else that is not a solvent developer, maybe Neofin Blau or something, in order to get a clear and crisp grain.

- Thomas

Attached Files:

3. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Stradibarrius,

never shot Kodak HIE but the first roll I tried yesterday (from the two images in the gallery), shows a good amount of grain with XTOL 1:2. Certainly nice grain. Will try the next roll in Beutler to see what comes out.

Max

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice examples, Max! I quite like the grain in those pictures.

I wonder how it would look in Rodinal 1+25.

5. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, Thomas. I did buy three rolls of 35mm to do exactly that. The next two will be in Rodinal 1:25 or 1:50 and Beutler 1:1:10. The only pain in the butt is that it really is a dust magnet. I use a drying cabinet and even then I have dust on some frames that I have never seen before. Also, delicate emulsion, and prone to scratches if not handled very carefully.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it's crunchy grain you want, try SFX-200 - that's visibly grainy even from 6x7. Maybe push 35mm SFX a stop in dilute Rodinal or something silly. I've found the Efke to be much, much smoother, though it's at least 2 stops slower behind an R72.

7. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maximus great shots! I have 4 rolls if HIE left and that is the "Standard" for IR but when it's gone it's gone! I am trying to see what I can get out of the EFKE 820 Aura. It is smoother than HIE but I like it. The SFX is GREAT B&W but not much as far as IR in my opinion.
    Here are a couple of shots with SFX with no filter.

Attached Files: