Is Astia 120 finally discontinued?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by kmallick, Jul 2, 2012.

1. kmallick

kmallick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know there was a little controversy about this. I knew for sure that Astia was nixed in 135. But I thought it was alive in 120. I went to order some 5-roll packs from online stores and none of them have it in stock. B&H says that it is discontinued. If thats true I am really sad. :sad:

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. It has been for a very long time, they just had plenty remaining stock.

Try E100G, that's what I changed to when Astia was discontinued in 35mm, and I really lik....er, no, that won't work either. :sad:

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too thought it was discontinued in all sizes at least 2-3 years ago.

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Discontinued in 120 in USA at least, probably still available in Japan. Still available in 4x5.

5. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is my understanding too. I've recently (within the last few months) picked up 120 from Japan and I see 4x5 for sale even here...

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still available because it's old stock. Discontinued in all sizes.

I've had this argument several times and someone else eventually looks up the link to prove it. I don't have it handy. Don't believe me if you don't want to. Someone else can look it up.

7. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    E-6 seems to be the most endangered of species. That, and not-over-saturated ASA 100 print film.

8. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't make me buy more 4x5 Astia; my freezer (and wallet!) can't take it.

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hear you. I'm shooting lots of slides this year while I can. Bought ten rolls of 35mm E100G when the discontinuance was announced and wish I had bought more.

Sorry if I sounded snippy. Several times now someone has asked about Astia, I've said it's all discontinued, someone else insists it isn't, argu...er discussion ensues and someone else looks up the definitive link. Too sad to go through it all again but at least with Ilfochrime also gone I don't care as much as I otherwise would. Sigh :sad:

10. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sad day, no more Astia in the fridge.... And why no more Astia I ask the gods!?!, all these kids use these instagram filters these days to get back to these 'old' looks?

11. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agfa CT Precisa 100. Unfortunately it's only available in 35mm :sad:

12. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I didn't recognize the value of astia till it was too late... :sad:

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me either...:sad:

14. rhcgn

rhcgn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilfochrome is not really gone! Ilford prominently displayed 2 Artists at Photokina this year to promote it again. I spoke to Ilford officials at the booth and they said that Ilfochrome is just not distributed right now, but it is by no means dead. You would have to go through Ilford Switzerland to procure it. And they also have connected photofinishers there that develop it.

Here are links to one of the two Artists' projects. Forgot the name of the other one unfortunately. (The pictures were nicer though, directly exposed on the Ilfochrome paper in an ULF Camera)

http://www.ilford.com/en/community/chrome-camera-blog/

http://www.chrome-camera.com/Home.html

15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well if they're still making it, they should distribute it. I recall reading that they had a contract for some military purchases until some future date. Maybe they just don't want to fool with it once that's up, but are selling some small amounts directly to people who ask for it.

It had become almost prohibitively expensive even before they stopped distributing it, though. The price of paper+chems needs to come in at no more than about twice to three times RA4 prices (in similarly small quantities) to make it very viable.

16. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Up here, too, Astia in 120 format disappeared some time back. However, it can still be found here and there in 35mm format. On-line the film is available at http://donsphoto.com/products.html?catalog[search][text]=fuji+astia&catalog[sort][on]=relevance The price is a bit steep - we Canadians are well acquainted with getting screwed on many things photographic (why I shop at KEH, B&H Camera, Adorama et al, and have the majority of my film processed at Dwayne's) - but for the hard-core Astiaphile, the price might be digestible...

17. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Astia film can still be found for sale in China. Is this film too old to consider or should I buy some to experience what it once was like?

18. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Astia seems a bit sensitive to poor storage. I used some 2nd hand films that were only just expired and already looked different, while some older astia I stored in the fridge still looked the same as ever.

If the seller stored them cool and the date isn't to bad than buy as much as you can! Just be a little careful with this film.