Is BLIX all there is now? (in USA)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by albada, Apr 8, 2013.

1. albada

albada Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Now that the Rollei kit has vanished, I see no way of getting a hobbyist' kit with a separate bleach and fix. All use a Blix.

* Freestyle's three brands (Arista, Unicolor, Tetenal) are all Blix-based.
    * B&H has one kit, and it uses a Blix.
    * PhotoFormulary.com appears to have dropped their repackaged Flexicolor kit.

I want the assurance of top quality that a separate bleach and fix provide. Please tell me I missed it some place.

Mark Overton

2. Julian Russell

Julian Russell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    'Been looking for separate bleach and fix kit, too...no luck yet.
    A guy at Freestyle said that the Rollei kit is being reformulated and will return but when I asked when he replied: "don't hold your breath".

3. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's being reformulated since you can order it from macodirect.de without any issues. I just had the 5litre kit delivered couple of weeks ago.

5. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you can get the fuji 5L E6 kits in the us if you don't mind the $$$. there are members here using it.

edit: now I see you're speaking of C41. nevermind.

7. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought c41 components locally but with e-6, unless you want to pay just as much for shipping as the chems, you are stuck with BLIX. now ive used BLIX, and the results are great but I have no idea about longevity.

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure? The description doesn't sound like it. For developer you only need the replenisher if you're doing replenishment. All you need for one shot is the starter. Bleach might be the same way (don't know, just asking.)

9. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might be able to use just the replenisher, but the starter doesn't contain the active ingredients, it just 'seasons' the solution so it behaves the same as if you've already run film through it. That's why the starter is so cheap compared to the replenisher...

10. albada

albada Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, you've all answered my question about only Blix being available.
    Yes, this is for C-41; sorry that I didn't mention that.
    Blix it is. Sigh.

Mark Overton

11. mike-o

mike-o Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been using the press kit for years with decent results. Just put together the flexicolor chemicals, and the results blow me away. it can be really confusing trying to figure out what's needed, but I had someone show me the way, and it's really simple.

12. albada

albada Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Likewise, AM radio sounds okay ... until you hear FM.

Blix versus separate bleach+fixer. I guess I'll try a blix-kit and compare results with Costco's minilab, which does good work. Maybe it'll be like AM versus FM, but I'd like to see the difference.

Mark Overton

13. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look in the "Color Processing Bleach" thread here in this forum. There's several places that sell the separate bleach and fix (Flexicolor). No reason to settle for Blix.

-Ed

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. albada

albada Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the pointer, but they're selling large sizes. I could not use 5 litres of each chemical before it goes off.
    Maybe I'll call the Formulary and encourage them to resume repackaging Flexicolor.

Mark Overton

16. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is the measurement to use for developer one shot using starter?

17. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no need to worry

Mark, the bleach and fix last forever. The bleach literally DOES last forever, mixed or not. I have been using the same 5L batch with regeneration for at least 2 years and it's still fine.

The fix is uber-cheap, and also lasts nearly forever. I have yet to have a problem with it, even a couple years old, mixed. Mainly i store the concentrate and mix and use it one-shot.

Anyway, just an FYI.

-Ed

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, my mistake, you are right - it's the replenisher you can use one shot by itself.

19. chrisaisenbrey

chrisaisenbrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Europe the Rollei kit and its components seem to be still available:

http://www.macodirect.de/digibase-single-units-c-416_404_534_405.html

(that’s actually the online-shop of the producer of Rollei films and chemistry)

But of cause the shipping costs are quite high for the US.

Perhaps if many people ask them for a reseller in the US……

Chris

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While the point is fair, I made a side by side comparison between six step and three step E6 back when the three step E6 kits came out, and found I slightly preferred the results from the three step. The difference was small and wouldn't have been noticed if not looking for it. I know the lack of stabilizer is bad from a longevity standpoint, but you can buy that separately and cheaply. Theory is one thing, and I respect it a lot, but many people who aren't all too naive to know better do get results they re happy with from blix.

21. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The replenisher should not be used by itself to develop film. It must be mixed with water and starter to make a developer working solution as per directions.

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What confuses me is, they say the E-6 kit on the site does 40 rolls, but is that 40 rolls as a ONE SHOT?

So if you reuse it extending the first developer times, it would increase the usable roll's developed?

Am I wrong? It ends up being about $160 with the shipping and I'm not sure about what "VAT" means but I assume that's some kind of pollution charge which puts the price at a total of $185 (roughly) to order one kit to the US.

So if you buy an Arista kit that does 20+ rolls of E-6 for $35 why spend so much more for a 5L 6 bath kit unless I can get significantly more than 40 rolls out of it?

also I thought the reason the Arista kit doesn't come with stabilizer was it was in the blix or something? Does this mean I have to re-wash everything in a stabilizer or I'll loose my film? Or is stabilizer only for C-41? I've asked this before but now that I have more understanding of it all, I'm asking again.

I also thought the color bleach and fix (both E-6 and C-41) were done to exhaustion so you can just leave them in a bit longer to be sure?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is regeneration different than replenisher? If so what's the process? Thanks!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    VAT is a value added (sales) tax - as I understand it VAT shouldn't be charged on purchases that are from out of the EU.

Canadian GST or (in the provinces who use it) HST is a form of value added tax.

25. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about film and C41, but paper can be developed just fine using just the RA4 replinisher.

Ok, diluted with water of course. Anyone who didn't already know that doesn't have any business jumping into color. Or black and white for that matter.

26. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, they are different.

Briefly: you process in what is called a "tank solution." During the processing, the tank solution becomes "used up," in some manner. To counteract this, you can add quantities of an extra-strength solution, called "replenisher." These additions allow the tank solution to remain at its normal operating strength.

The addition of replenisher tends to produce a surplus of solution in the processing tanks. Normally, this surplus would be considered as waste. However, it is sometimes possible to collect this surplus then add a "regenerator" mix which converts it back into a replenisher. (I know it seems confusing.)

Nowdays, the only things worth regenerating are probably bleach and, for paper, bleach-fix. In the case of bleach-fix, it's necessary to desilver it first, then aerate prior to regenerating.