Is it a good portrait lens?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by normmamiya, Feb 2, 2012.

1. normmamiya

normmamiya Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi

I'm interested by this lens to make portrait with a Sinar F1 (4 x5).

Do you have any experience with this lens?

Compare to a Ektar or Tessar lenses, is it better ? Is it better than the Red Dot?

Thank you for advise.

Norm

2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tough question. Any hints about the lens you're asking about? :smile:

3. normmamiya

normmamiya Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm sure it would work fine as a portrait lens, although it would be sharper than my own preference. The Artars are process lenses and very sharp--the Apo and Red Dot versions are likely to be pretty similar. I know the red Dots are all coated--not sure if the same goes for all the Apos. The equivalent 14' Kodak Commercial Ektar is a Tessar design--I think I'd choose it over the Artar, but it's in an Ilex #5 shutter--you need to check if it'll fit on a Sinar board. Maybe consider some portrait lenses-- a 12" Wollensak Velostigmat with soft focus control is pretty nice and you can use it sharp or dial in a bit of softness.

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a pre Red Dot coated version. It will be the same as the 12" you asked about at LFPF, except 2" longer.

6. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Norm;
    This is a beauty of a lens but would be more suited for a 8 x 10 camera instead of a 4 x 5. A good portrailt lens would be 180mm-210mm. A normal lens is around 150mm-162mm. Would be a good telephoto or eyeball lens, Steven.

7. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Really too long, especially if you don't have an extension bed, extension bellows and mid frame for your Sinar

Artars, I could never tell the difference between Apo and RD in final print quality, are very good lenses, but a 210mm Xenar should be easy to find and if you want a softer effect try a 250mm Rodenstock Imagon, which by purest coincidence I have here in my safe

However, the Imagon has too much softness for my taste, it was designed that way and mine is complete in original box with all the colanders etc for Au$640 plus postage - I should really put this on the classified section or I will be in trouble

Before you consider an Imagon look them up on the Wise and Wonderful Web and seriously consider the work you plan and if it will be suitable - I did this, but never actually used it apart from a food book photo job with frothy deserts and cakes - For that it was superb and earned its keep very quickly

For a sharp lens in 240mm I have a now unused Apo-Ronar in an ancient Copal shutter which was used for artwork documentation for publication - Perhaps a Au$1 per millimeter plus postage, but I am open on that - Or a 210mm Symmar S in more recent Copal shutter that is too new and "bitey" for my taste - Perhaps Au$1.50 per millimeter plus postage

However, think before you spend your money - Also, tipping other people to eBay items may not be in your best interest if you don't want other APUSists bidding against you