is it possible to redevelop film?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by wilfbiffherb, Jan 29, 2012.

1. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have just processed some film in a jobo rotary and there are streaky areas of blue in my skies which look like uneven ddeveloping. I know you can rebleach and fix but is it possible to redevelop to try and get rid of thesee streeaks??

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, PM Photo Engineer

3. DarkMagic

DarkMagic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ill guess a lot other members would like to read PEs answer,

4. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid it's too late to redevelop. Unlike b/w film, color does not retain any silver after bleach and fix is done. Once silver is gone, there is not much you can do.

5. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. Once you fixed the image, the undeveloped but exposed silverhalides that you needed to develop in the first go, are gone, meaning you can not "correct" a developing error like streaks caused by bad rotation.

You can bleach a B&W film image and redevelop it, but it will come back with the same streaks and uneveness of the original.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    100% correct, once the silvers gone no.

There is a techniquee called looping which was used by astronomers where a colour film was developed and fixed, then washed and bleached in a rehalogenating bleach and redeveloped this built up the dyes and could be repeated a few times before finally bleching and fixing.

Ian

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yep Ian you are correct, some call it rehal or acceleration too. I have played with it a bit with interesting results, but re the OP, like you say, is out of luck unfortunately

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a colour film so all the silvers been removed if the bleach and fix went to completion. As the swirly bits are printing or scanning lighter from a negative it sounds unlikely the excess density was a developer isue but it could be incomplete bleach/fix or the bleach wasn't poured in fast enough and/or an agitation problem.

Ian

9. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    curses-looks like the roll is lost. good job its only 45mins back to where i shot them!

10. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As has been stated here not all is necessarily lost in your case. Have you tried rebleach&fix yet?

11. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If they were important shots I would salvage them by scanning. It's not a topic for APUG, but it is amazing how much damage to film you can correct by scanning. DPUG would be a good place to ask for more details on this.