Is it possible to shoot 220 through a 120 back?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by J Rollinger, Apr 29, 2010.

1. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pro pack of 220 sitting in my freezer that i would like to shoot but i have no 220 back. Is there any way i can run it through a 120 back of a Mamiya rz67? I really dont care about getting all the exposures out of it, I just dont want the film to go to waste. Thanks!

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Should be possible. If you want to be critical you could put a piece of 120 backing paper on the pressure plate. Is it possible to reset the counter with the film still in place? If so you could use half the film, reset it and use the rest.

Steve.

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, but you waste half the roll. If you have a changing bag, you can open the back to reset the counter, then shoot the other half of the roll.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just make up half rolls from the 220. Easy to do, you just need an extra spool and some paper (which I typically keep when I develop rolls myself).

With the 120 backs I use, the lack of backing paper hasn't produced any problems when running 220 through. That's not a guarantee, mind you!

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Invest in a 220 back. 220 is a wonderful convenience, unless you actually like loading film backs.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Offer your 220 film in trade for some 120.

or

With the RB backs, you can switch the 120 and 220 "innards", as long as you stay within the same version (RB Pro-RB Pro, RB ProS-RB ProS, RB Pro-SD-RB Pro-SD). If it is the same with the RZ, look for a beatup RZ 220 back.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the line of thought to have, IMO, but you don't need the whole back. You can just get a 220 insert.

8. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shot a roll with a 120-only camera before I realized they were incompatible- I figured out that the camera only would do 12 shots when it wouldn't take #13... The pictures came out OK, not sure if the film being slightly expired, the lack of a 220 film spacer on the film plane or general crappiness of camera was the main contributing factor, but the pictures did come out looking pretty cool, kinda vintage-y. Like they were from the 70s or 80s. It was probably all of the above. I agree with everyone else, get a 220 back!

9. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the the advice! I really dont want to buy a 220 back in order to shoot 5 rolls so i will re-spool half of the rolls. Thanks again!

10. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can get a 220 back (or just the insert) from KEH real cheap, especially if you're willing to change the foam.

11. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you owned a Hasselblad,the old non automatic 120 backs could use 220.Also if you were careful get the 13th frame on a 120 roll.

12. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If i was to buy a 220 back then i could shoot 120 through it with out any issues other than to remember how many frames i have exposed? Would i be correct on this?

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe,the 220 back is metered for the leader of 220 film,there could be a problem with getting the film at the correct #1 frame position. But after that meet be ok for the 12 exposers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010