Is it such a good idea to build your own view camera?

Is it such a good idea to build your own view camera?

1. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Laurent submitted a new resource:

Is it such a good idea to build your own view camera? - Is it such a good idea to build your own view camera?

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    comments from the previous article system:

By Laurent - 10:25 PM, 12-13-2004 Rating: None
    I'm absolutely sorry for the formatting of the budget part... Could not work it out !
    Laurent

By argus - 03:50 PM, 03-21-2005 Rating: None
    Any progress on this?

By Pat Bunn - 07:10 PM, 03-24-2005 Rating: None
    I have a set of Jons plans - I also have a 9x20 metal lathe, A metal mill, A table saw and many more tools that would be useful. - But I would never try to build a camera as a first camera. Only as a fun project.
    But I still have not even started. The only real reason to build a camera is for personal satisfaction (in my opinion)

3. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That's my opinion. Do I want to take photos or work in my workshop? If you like creating things by hand, a camera is as good a project as any. I would like to do this - I just never get my necessary projects done (HoneyDo) to have the time.

As for wood, metals, fasteners, etc. If you're in the making stuff business, these things are easy to find. Money - probably little savings, and don't count your time.

Just IMHO :cool:

Bruce

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two thoughts about this:

1) I have very few construction type skills, so this is probably not for me, but...
    2) If I did have those skills, and the appropriate tools and workplace, I would seriously consider this, if only for the opportunity to adapt a camera to my own particular circumstances. So many of the cameras (and many other things in this world) seem to be designed by right-handed people, for right-handed people. If I was building my own, it would be very well configured for mostly single handed use by a left-handed person - i.e. someone like me!