Is it worth it?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ajuk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Someone is selling an OM-1n with 55 f1.2 and 100mm 2.8 Zuiko lenses for £100, trouble is I phoned the woman and she knows little about cameras, I managed to determine over the phone that the camera is probably working ("pull the leaver and press the button does it go clunk?" "yes") I asked her too look through the lenses up to the light and it didn't sound too promising, she said she could see a few "cobwebby things" trouble is it's nearly an hours drive from here, is it still worth going for a look because of the cheap price?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without any other data I would say save the gas or in your case save the petro.

Steve

3. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems a little high to me. I got an OM4 for not much more than what she wants for an OM1n. Also, be aware that the OM1 takes mercury batteries which are no longer around. However, I should confess that I have an OM1 and I love it. One plus is the zuiko lenses are simply fantastic and pretty cheap these days. I would keep looking. There is sure to be a bargain out there somewhere. Have you considered an OM2 - both auto and manual exposure modes?

4. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I more interested in the lenses TBH I have plenty of Zinc air batteries to fit an OM-1 although I would probably sell the camera.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've driven further to look at something & not bought.
    There's nothing like handling the merchandise.
    The lady may be describing fungus, she may not & you won't know if you don't look and besides if she's that honest with you on the phone she will take less if the lenses do need a CLA.

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I mean if they are aright I will have the bargain of the century there is a 55mm 1.2 on ebay with an asking price of £310 and once recently sold for £270 the 100mm recently went for £170 and an OM-1 is worth about £50-60 I think.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe they are actually cobwebs :smile:.

I'd go for the drive.

Matt

8. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a camera and "make a day of it". :smile:

9. Amir Aziz

Amir Aziz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You don't say if one or both lenses have the 'cobwebby things'? but at that price its worth going for a look. If they both do have fungus maybe you could explain and offer less or even break up the package and take the items that you like.

10. moouers

moouers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was going to suggest this as well.

11. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It may be a great deal. Zuiko lenses aren't especially prone to fungus, and the 55/1.2 lens in so-so shape is worth more than what she's asking for the entire kit.