Is now not a time to buy a Film camera

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ajuk, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It could be my imagination, but in my search for an F80, I am being faced with a bit of competion, while 2 months ago they were going for about £160 with kit lens, they are now going for about £200+ with this kit lens, could this be somthing to do with the start of term?

2. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have a look at the second hand market!
    Kit lenses? Don`t do that to your images.

Cheers

André

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    It could be.

4. mark

mark Member

I've been watching prices climb as well. I'ld take Juba's advice and head for the used market. People are dumping their 35mm cameras like hot lava and buying into the digital is better ideal. SOme good pickins.

5. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hurry, Used equipment prices are climbing fast, a lot of shooters are finding that the little digital P+S cameras don't equal film and the DSLRS are still high priced for casual users.

6. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could also be that Ole has run out of LF lenses to buy, and is now trying to corner the used 35mm market... :tongue:

7. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was reffering to eBay prices in my origional post.

I just want the kit lens as a starter once I have an F80 I will get a 50mm 1.8 as well, I like candid street photography, hence my need for a Zoom and Fast AF

8. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you really need fast AF, the F80 isn`t your camera, the AF is slow and hunts a bit, very quiet shutter, nice ergonomics and alot of features are the good points.
    Do you know the F90x?
    Could be a good option, as for the zoom, how about a 28-105mm IF D?
    Good luck!

André

9. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found that film camera and lens prices are on a bit of high - and some of it to the ridiculous degree. As a Canon FD user, I keep an eye on the equipment, and when run of the mill used 28mm 2.8 lenses breech $60 US... its a bit funny. I think that January will see a drop off, as all the students dump their gear and people are strapped for cash post-christmas. Its my observation that there is a definite relation between the prices and school terms.

10. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why would they dump it in Janurary, is that when term ends there?

11. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm suppriesed your saying the F80 has slow AF. F90x is the the predecessor to the F100?

12. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use to have an F80, one F5 and one F100, I sold the F80, the F5, and kept the F100.
    Compared with the other 2, the F80 is a sleeper, obviously they aren`t playing in the same league, but if you really want a fast and precise AF, then go for the F90x or the F100 at least.
    Yes, the F100 is the "upgrade" of the F90, and the F80 of the F70.
    I know some professionals still using F90`s as back-up cameras, still a very good machine.
    Decide wisely!

Cheers

André

13. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First semester is over - and the influence of Christmas spending is overwhelming, I find - across the board - not just in camera equipment.
    Still - all things aside, can you imagine how much this stuff would cost were it not for the digital epidemic? I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but I sometimes reflect on the fact that the great prices I buy my equipment for a are a symptom of a potentially terminal disease of the hobby I love...

14. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know some that are using them for a primary... I have used an N90S and an N80 exclusively and the N90 is far better in regards to the AF speed. It is also vastly superior in dark environments. However, I love using the N80 for street stuff. Personally, I don't wait for something to shoot then quickly try to get it. I'm usually anticipating the shot and have the AF already engaged. It also has that tracking system that follows the subject and continues to refocus. I know they all have it but it works well. Its light and very easy to use and the only primary lens I have is the 85mm 1.8... I use zooms (even the G lenses) an awful lot. I do tread lightly with both the body and lenses. Obviously, they are not as durable but quite capable.