Is Rick Steves on drugs?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Robert Hall, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ok, so I am planning a trip to bonnie Scotland and I read in Rick Steve's travel guide that Talisker does not allow cell phones or cameras inside the distillery.

Is he kidding?

What about the other distilleries? It's not like after a few hundred years someone hasn't been in there to photograph, right?

Anyone? Anyone?

2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea, weed, his drug of choice.

3. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Uh, thanks Curt. Helpful. :wink:

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Robert why don't you email them? I've had good luck with that approach.

5. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK about Talisker, but at least the distilleries on Islay allow photography. Or did when I visited a few years ago. In general, expect "no flash, no tripod", but don't expect a complete ban on photographic equipment or the use thereof. There will always be exceptions, no doubt...

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have come up with a good way to describe Rick Steves: Adorkable

As far as travel advice goes, I'm not sure I'd follow in his footsteps.

From their web site. Call or email them?

Talisker Distillery
    Carbost
    Isle of Skye
    IV47 8SR

Tel: 01478 614308
    Email: talisker@diageo.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  7. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Perhaps not, but his advice can help guide you in your own direction. Use Steve as a starting point.

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Thomas, I couldn't find the contact information.

There are some strange things about Rick Steves. He seems to have quite an aversion for Museums as well as just about anything in Germany.

Thanks again,

9. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For those you have to see Steve Ricks.:wink:

10. David Lindquist

David Lindquist Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When my wife and I toured the Chivas Brothers' Stratisla Distillery in Keith last year they asked us not to take photographs inside. Oddly the reason given had nothing to do with protecting proprietary processes, that I would have understood. Rather it had to do with the possible hazard of flash setting off alcohol vapors! Now off hand I don't know the flash point etc of ethyl alcohol vapors, but it seemed to me you'd be getting pretty intoxicated well before vapor concentration got to where it could flash over. Plus their switching gear and electrical motors didn't look especially explosion proof. Great tour by the way and I brought back a bottle of their cask strength single malt that I'm carefully husbanding as they don't export it to the U.S.
    David

11. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, I agree. It was a bit of a personal statement, and I wasn't being objective.

12. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For those who don't know he is a huge pro legalization of mj. He gives talks on it locally, his office is about 15 miles from my house. He's an ok guy but kinda geeky.

13. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hopefully not too off topic but we really enjoyed our visit to Scotland many years ago. Largely did the B&B thing, which was great. We still remember the guide at the tour of Edinburgh castle. Very funny ("During one battle, it was 10 Englishmen for every 1 Scot. We considered that a fair fight.")

I don't know what your travel arrangements are, but there is/was an overnight train from Glasgow to London and from Edinburgh to London. Very useful for gaining a bit of extra daylight time during your visit.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This topic got me curious, so I googled a bit and found that some distilleries prohibit photography (and most electronics) because of the potential for an explosive atmosphere in the facility. It sounds a little screwy to me, but I don't know that much about how distilleries work and maybe they really do face enough alcohol fumes that sparks are a danger.

If that's the concern, they might be open to someone with a non-electronic camera...

-NT

16. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was my thoughts. Take a leaf shutter and some high speed film. Who needs electronics! This is APUG afterall!

17. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Great tips all. I think the idea of sparking a fire is ludicrous, but if it somehow did, could you imagine the damage to the business?

Looks as though it would be a case by case basis. I will let you all know what Talisker says. I may not be able to photograph, but there are worse things one can't do at a distillery. :smile:

18. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I toured FDRs Little White House in Warm Springs GA and they asked for no flash but take all the photos you like. I did'nt have any fast film so I turned the D70 up to ISO800 and got some OK shots. Got some film shots outside with the N80.

20. kerrpanda

kerrpanda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We visited Talisker in 2006 and have the pictures to prove it! There was no problem at all, then. Oh, and you'll really enjoy their "sample". The most generous sample I've ever had! Had it before the tour, which gave it just enough time to work before they took you to their store. They're not stupid!

21. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Just got an email back. Nothing allowed from Talisker...

Sigh!

22. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange. My Westinghouse Flip Flash II does recommend against shooting in flammable atmospheres but that's a flash bulb!

I went to Islay a few years ago and shot tons of Ektrachrome and Kodak 400 speed B&W. I didn't use a flash, brought fast (f/1.2-f/2.8) lenses instead. Took some 300mm f/4L shots of lovely shorebirds as well. Had a fully mechanical Canon FTbN and an electronic AE-1 with me (400 C-41 B&W and E200 respectively). Great place, friendly people, wonderful whisky, delicious food. There were even sunny skies while I was there and I have pictures to prove it! Stayed at the Oystercatcher B&B and managed some shots of some Oystercatchers as well. Made some 12x18" prints from that trip, loved it! Need to scan the rest of them.

[​IMG]
    Ardbeg distillery by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bruichladdich Stillroom by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bruichladdich Distillery front sign by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    The Paps of Jura by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2011
  23. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not even with a completely manual camera, not using batteries? Wow. That's harsh.

Oh well, enjoy the memories, the smells, the flavors, and the experience! Everything doesn't have to be photographed... :smile:

24. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I could ask about using my Leica, but I hear you cant even take a cell phone in there.

Ardbeg! Good choice. :smile:

Oh, is that owned by Glenmorangie? They might let you photograph. I need to drop them a line.

25. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad, although I'd still suggest to bring a camera. Company policy from people who sit at desks all day is one thing, but... just ask again when you're there, about to go on a tour of the distillery. Maybe the tour guide at the distillery will turn a blind eye. No harm in asking again.

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A company I worked for were doing some work below ground in a coal mine, and the manager who was in charge of the project wasn't allowed underground to supervise the engineers because of the danger of explosion when the clients learned he had a pacemaker fitted in his heart !.