is SQB a better choice?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Crono, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Crono

Crono Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    when compare to SQA?

i take photo outdoor most of the time
    i have a Sekonic 398m light meter and i probably will check the exposure with a digital compact before taking a shot

and dont think i will buy the meter prism anyway

so... would the SQB better than the more expensive SQA?
    are they the same except for the electron contacts?

wouldn't consider the Ai as it is even more expensive...

thanks

2. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The SQB is the 'economy' model. I would select SQ-AI before SQ-A before SQ-B. I would have to do research into the actual difference between models, to see what features were given up. Not sure, but SQ-B might be pentamirror, not pentaprism.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The SQ-B doesn't have a meter, nor can it take a metering prism. For studio use the SQ-B would be fine. For field use, having access to a built-in meter is convenient, although of course you can still use a handheld meter.

The SQ-A isn't all that expensive. It's the Bronica I bought.

4. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just found this summary...

"SQ-Ai:
    You may add on a motor drive, the SQ-i motor.
    There is a connection port for off-the-film plane flash control.
    The body has a multi exposure warning in the viewfinder
    A 16 second calibrated shutter speed
    "B" (bulb) setting on the shutter speed dial.
    The backs between the previous models and the SQAi are fully compatible
    All accessories for the SQ, SQ-A, and SQ-Am were compatible with this body.

SQ-A:
    Is an updated SQ.
    Auto metering capability with the AE finder S.
    Mirror lock-up lever was added.
    All accessories for SQ cameras fit the SQ-A.

SQ-B:
    Is almost the same as the SQ-A, no metered prism.
    The shutter speed range is the same as the SQ-A (8 sec to 1/500).
    The SQ-B has mirror lock-up.

SQ:
    This is the one I have and is the precursor to the models above. No metering, no mirror lock-up, same shutter speed range as the SQ-A, SQ-B."

After digging around a bit, it would appear that the 'lack of electronics' is the fundamental basis for differences...so electronic contacts for the film back to communicate ISO are missing; contacts for metering prism power and interface to lens aperture control is missing; electronic link between lens and meter and back are missing. So if you want a purely mechanical camera (except the shutter speeds are still controlled from body to leaf shutters in the lenses), the SQB may be the way to go. OTOH, how much price difference is there, now that film cameras have plummeted in value on the open market?

5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an SQb and thought I'd never really have use for a metered prism as I have a spot meter I use. Now that I have been using the SQb for a few years I think I might add an SQ AI body and take advantage of a metered prism. Since the price of good quality used SQ gear is so low I am going to add one soon. I shoot mostly landscapes, seascapes and industrials and I think having a metered prism would be an advantage.

Best regards,

Bob

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never has a bronica, will the meter set f-stop or shutter speed? Or is it like a Hassy and you transfer the information?

Thanks
    Mike

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The meter is coupled to the aperture and shutter speed. Some meter prisms permit aperture-priority automatic exposure. Some only have metered manual. (Some have no metering at all.)

8. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Both the SQA (which I have) and the SQB give shutter speeds up to 8 seconds. For timed exposures longer than this, one has to use the "T" setting actually on the lens itself. ...except the standard 80mm lens supplied with the SQB (PS/B series lens) doesn't feature the 'T' switch! This means unless you buy an additional 80mm lens (either 'S' series from the SQA era, or 'PS' series from the SQA-I era - they're both compatible) you are unable to give exposure times longer than 8 seconds.

Of course any other lens you buy to go with the camera will have the 'T' mode, it's just the "kit" 80mm lens that came with the camera which doesn't have this feature.

9. Crono

Crono Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the information, Ian

I need the T!
    so i will go for A or higher...

10. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    With an SQB you can still use the T on the lens, so long is it is not the PS/B lens that was packaged with the SQB. No bulb setting though...

11. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As Shawn says, don't automatically discount the SQB if the lack of 'T' on the lens is the only issue with the features on offer - you may find the previous owner had the same 'problem' and has replaced the "PS/B" non-T lens with an "S" or "PS" 80mm lens already - something to check, although I suspect the majority of SQBs will still have their non-T lens with them.

If you have access to the camera (or photos) it's easy enough to tell, the 'T' mode is selected by a long thin sliding switch situated on the underside of the lens barrel. On the 'PS' series lens there's a little silver pull-out catch to prevent the lens accidently being put in 'T' mode, whilst on the 'S' series lens this is a small silver coin operated screw.

Page 13 of this PDF user guide shows the position.

Oh, and the text on the front of the lens is likely to say "PS/B" instead of just "PS" or "S"! :wink: Whilst I've never had a problem with my SQA (despite taking it into extreme enviroments), it might be worth considering that the SQB model range is newer than the SQA series of cameras. ...although as usual, an SQA that's been used by a caring amateur might be in better condition than a newer SQB that's been hammered by a professional! :D

12. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an SQB. As I use a tripod all the time one of the main attractions is the mirror lock up. If I need an exposure of greater than 8 seconds I will use the double exposure feature.