Is stabilization available for analog?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by David Lyga, Apr 21, 2013.

1. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a device which might screw onto the tripod socket of an SLR that would provide the ability to hand-hold film cameras at slow speeds (1/4, 1/8, etc) and get sharp results? I think that there are some lenses with this built-in but I am talking about a separate device. - David Lyga

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, a gyro-motor.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meditation might help too...

4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ah, yes. Gyroscopes. When you are in a helicopter or on a boat, a tripod just doesn't work.

Not cheap. Can be rented. Not lightweight. Heavy battery consumption.

Always wanted something like this, even if a toy version existed.

http://www.ken-lab.com/

5. spacer

spacer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a few slow, deep breaths, let the last one out partway, settle in and take the shot. :smile: May not work for everyone, but it helps me.

6. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Then, if they are so expensive, why does every damn digital camera have on built-in? Expose my ignorance please. - David Lyga

7. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're OK with autofocus, Canon or Nikon AF analog bodies like the EOS 3 and F100 can use image stabilized lenses too.. Some of the Canon ones like the 100L IS and the new 24-70 f/4L IS are pretty remarkable in what they can do to remove hand tremors. I've hand-held the Nikon 16-35 VR at 1/4 of a second no problamo.

8. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For an outside-mounted unit, it has to be big and extremely precise. Like a Segway scooter. For internal designs, they are very tiny. They can use other motion detectors instead of Gyroscopes.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, those attached stabilizers have to stabilize the whole camera (actually your hand plus camera...)

The internal (modern) stabilizers only have to move a rather tiny optical element.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some rely on in-lens systems instead.

And it is a lot easier to move electrons around or a sensor which is the size of a postage stamp then it is to move a chunk of film.

11. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1, except that you don't need to use the lenses on autofocus. And if you have EOS bodies, now Canon has three (relatively) compact primes with IS: 24/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2, so you're no longer stuck with monster zooms or telephotos if you want IS in a film camera.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are a number of film cameras that support the same stabilized lenses you see used on the DSLR's. This technique of moving the lens elements to counteract for camera motion isn't very expensive and it costs the same for film or digital.
    As for separate devices that use the gyro principle these devices actually stabilize the camera and keep it steady. They have to be heavy because if they are not heavy they are not effective and they are also expensive. They were available long before the in lens or in camera were available. They don't need a computer to run them just power the spin the gyro.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why don't you just buy a stabilised lens? Canon, Nikon and Sigma sell a whole bunch of them that will work on 35mm film bodies; it's Sony that does stabilisation in the body instead (therefore no stabilisation available on Minolta SLRs).

You want an external stabiliser? It's called a tripod.

16. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SteadiCam

17. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because they are expensive? Because one loves that camera body that does not accept a stabilized lens?

19. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A steadycam system is designed for with another kind of camera movement in mind.

20. kintatsu

kintatsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    One thing that could help is the "string pod."

Mount a tripod plate onto the bottom to hold a section of string (preferably strong twine) about 4-6 feet long. With the string unrolled to the ground, step on it to keep it in place and pull up on the camera. The tension will give you anywhere from 1/3 to 2 stops increase in stability.

The amount that you can increase your shutter time depends on several factors, but I've gotten decent results with it in a pinch.

21. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that stabilization you refer to David would have been available in film cameras and lenses if digital had never been invented, it's interesting to speculate what modern film cameras would be be like if the R&D budget and effort spent by the manufacturers on digital imaging had been spent on film photographic equipment.

22. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can buy any of the NIkon VR lenses for the FX format and use it on my F5 and it would have the VR features. I am sure it would work on the F6 and perhaps the F100 as well. I can't do it on the F3 because the F3 was introduced before the VR was invented. Nikon or Canon doesn't discriminate against film cameras in this case.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon does, by changing from FD to EF bayonet, the former being used by many of us here.

24. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    but they changed to the EF mount for film cameras for more than 10 years before they used it for digital. The EF mount isn't digital only mount.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canon shall be rehabilitated.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand it, Canon's change to the EOS system and the EF mount was motivated by a desire to increase the speed and efficacy of the automatic systems in the cameras, with particular emphasis on auto-focus.