Is there a trick to determine what type of film you loaded (LF)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by steveb533, Mar 23, 2013.

1. steveb533

steveb533 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I loaded some large format film a while ago and I cant remember if it is c-41 or b&w...I think it was c-41. Is there any trick to figuring that out, that anyone knows of? Also if I cant determine which, it would make more sense to develop with b&w chemicals I guess? Thanks

Steve

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you think you could clip off a tiny corner of the film sheet somewhere in the dark, then reinsert the remaining sheet back into the film holder? The difference between b&w and C41 film stock should be plenty obvious (orange mask!) even before any development has taken place ...

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are notch codes in the upper right hand corner if the film is held vertically with the emulsion towards you. The notches are different for each film. It will be easier to figure out by feel if you can narrow it down to only a couple of possibilities... or you could sacrifice one sheet and look at it in the light.

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Check the notch code on the film. Basically feel for it to determine the various notch shapes and sequence, the look up the sequence of notches. Then you'll know exactly what film you have.

If you have the boxes you film came in you'll see the notch code printed on the label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have some sheets of film already developed, check the notch codes on those.

Practice feeling the notches with your eyes shut. Different notches feel pretty distinct, once you get the hang of it.

Compare the known to your unknown. (In the dark, of course! :wink: )

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And of course, you probably have used the same film before (and have developed sheets to compare notches).

Or at least you have part of a box of fresh film to compare...

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The codes for B&W and color (at least for Kodak films) are pretty different. The code is also illustrated on the box (again, Kodak products, Ilford too, I believe) so you can look at what to expect before turning out the lights.
    As sort of a last resort short of turning on the lights on a sheet, put the sheet over a card or piece of paper and trace the notches with a thin lead pencil, then put the sheet back in the holder.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once used Silly Putty to determine what the film was. I just pressed the notches into the Putty, and went to look it up.

10. steveb533

steveb533 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks alot for the responses! I didnt know about the different edge markings. I will try that. Thanks again

Steve