Is there an "All-brand" CLA shop?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wolfeye, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have some 35mm cameras, most notably a Chinon SLR 35mm body, which I'd like to get CLA'd. I see a number of guys who specialize in one or a few camera maker's models, but not all of them. Is there a good, more general shop? Failing that, can anyone recommend a guy to CLA my Chinon?

Thanks in advance...

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your problem with getting a Chinon CLA'd is it's likely to cost you more than getting another body in good condition.

Most general camera repairers should be able to help you, but watch the minimum charges.

Ian

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think KEH works on just about anything. They even have an on-line estimator.

4. Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Garry's Camera Repair. I've used them in the past. Very quick & reasonable. I have a Chinon CM-1 that I need to send.
    http://www.garryscamera.com/

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A CLA may cost you more than another body in good condition, but unless that other body just had a CLA itself, you'll have a better camera if you repair the one you have. 35mm cameras need occasional repair to work well. The light seals fail. The meters fall out of calibration. The shutters need adjustment.

6. toadhall

toadhall Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sold a Minolta XE-7 on Ebay, and described it as a beater, and the purchaser had Garry's fix it up for what seemed a very reasonable amount. He was pleased, and I was impressed. They sound like a good shop if they're convenient for you.

7. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Drop Frank Marshman a note at camerawiz@msn.com. He's done a Graphic 35 for me, and currently has two of my Gothic F's. That seems about as "all-brand" as you're going to find! He is very fast and his prices are quite reasonable.