Is there an easy way to enlarge BW negs?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering is there's a film that will allow me to enlarge small BW negs? It would be nice if the film could be used like BW paper where I can use an enlarger and Dektol to soup it. Is there such a film that comes in 8x10 and 11x14 sheets?

2. markos

markos Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a little off subject but you may want to try this for fun. Mount you negative (or positive slide) upside down in your carrier. Then print it to RC paper with no watermark or writting on the back of the paper. Develop the RC paper as usual but used dilute developer or Film developer to keep contrast down. When the RC paper is developed and dry use it for contact prints. Emulsion to emulsion.

4. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also rememeber there are some direct positve B&W enlarging papers out there.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

if the xray dup film you are talking about is the direct positive dup film ...
    it takes a ton of light and isn't really the kind of thing that can be enlarged onto
    it is slow enough that it takes negative to negative contact print ( on the film )
    and a 300W flood light to expose it !

the OP is better off making a paper neg. to contact print -

have fun
    john

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the responses. I've made d_gital negs with OHP film and they're ok. I'm just curious how analog copy negs are.

8. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    sorry but you can enlarge onto direct dupe film...it will take from 2:30 to 4 min for the exposure;depending on source brightness......
    then use HC-110 @1:3@75 degrees for about 2-3 minutes...well you get the idea...I have done this with 35mm negs up to 5x7negs...some of the winter scenes on my website are enlarged from 35mm negs and then printed in palladium
    best,peter

9. musila

musila Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm interested in doing this as well, but I was thinking of developing my small films as positives (develop, bleach, re-expose, develop) and then use my enlarger to enlarge negatives on ortho film..

Ortho film is what you want, it's not sensitive to red light(like photo paper), so you can work with it in a lit darkroom.

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I bought a 100' roll of 35m direct dupe film for $2 to fiddle with, and found it's effective iso rating to be in the range of 0.12.

It is not an enlargement type product. Think more to using slide duper with this film, with multiple pops of a rather powerful flash in fromt of the neg in the slide holder.

11. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been using Kodak dental x-ray duplicating film for very very many years to duplicate dental x-rays (contact printed) exposed with a 15watt bulb 12 inches above the printing frame for 30seconds exposure. I have also used it to enlarge negatives for pt/pd printing. It is very slow but gives beautiful negatives. In both cases I use Kodak GBX dev. and fix which lasts approximately a month. Remember it is a reversal film so you have to do the opposite burning=less dense negative and dodging=more dense negative. It yields excellent contrast for pt/pd printing.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/