is there any difference in 5 in 1 reflectors?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by darinwc, Dec 17, 2009.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those reflectors that have white, silver gold and black sides. Are there any differences in quality between name brands and generics?

2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes.

There are also differences among them in the quality of light, some more specular, some more diffuse, and in the colors of the gold and silver used. Some also have mixed stripes, silver+white, silver+gold, and many other variations. The translucent diffusers also have different degrees of diffusion and transmission. Some are more triangular and have a nice handle built in. Build quality and materials quality varies. Read the catalog descriptions, look at the structure, try to see them in person if you can.

Lee

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    zipper quality is another point. I have a chinese no name knock off. The fabric quality is ok, but the zipper pull broke the first time I was zipping it on.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have one from Calumet, and it's held up pretty well, seems to offer a nice variety of qualities of light, and wasn't terribly expensive.

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Calumets are good, as are the Wescotts and Photoflexes. I have a generic from I want to say Promaster (or it could be an Interfit) and it seems ok too, but for the usually minor difference in price, I'd go up a grade to the Wescott or Calumet products.