Is there such a thing as 5x14inch format?

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by darinwc, Jan 30, 2007.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just thinking that 5x14 inch (actually 5.5x14, half of a 11x14 inch sheet) might be a nice panoramic format to work in. The diagonal would be around 15" right? About 380mm. There might be more lenses available to cover than the 7x17 format.

Is there such a thing?

2. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never heard of a 5x14, but Al Vista swing lense cameras had a 140 degree swing lense 5" x 16" format, along with a 5" x 12" format, and a bunch of other sizes as well.

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sure, just cut a darkslide in half for an 11x14 holder and get two 5x14's per sheet of 11x14 film. I was thinking of going 7x17, but I think this 5x14 route would be the way I would go...when I win the lottery.

Other than that, I have not heard of the 5x15 format as a stand-alone camera.

I am presently doing this with my 8x10 camera (3.5x10 negs). Not as smooth-working as a dedicated 4x10 camera, but cheap.

Vaughn

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Given that new ULF cameras and filmholders are pretty much custom equipment anyway, there's no reason not to build one or have one built, if you really like the idea and can afford it.

5. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There's an eBay seller from India, "lexim2k", who periodically offers a bunch of old wooden cameras in odd formats, including a range of panoramic formats that I've otherwise never seen. He might be able to come up with something close.

Otherwise, I'd second David's point.

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have never heard of one, but now that someone has mentioned it I'm sure it's only a question of time before there is one... :smile:

7. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What? You don't already have two of them?

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, the closest equivalent I have is a 45x107mm - but that's a stereo camera. :smile:

I have some 5x14cm holders though - and some 5x12 inches...

9. Uncle Jim

Uncle Jim Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi all
    Have been working on this format since last summer. Have ben awhile in defining exactly what I want it to do. Have also decided to have a second back to shoot 7x11. Am working on the film holders now and have already constructed the bellows. Will keep you advised on my progress. PM me if there are questions.
    uncle jim