Is this a complete camera?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Erik L, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Erik L

Erik L Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi folks, I'm having a rough time identifying if this is a complete outfit or not.
    I'm helping go through a widows husbands equipment and it is scattered where only he would have known what belonged where. Anyway, can someone please
    help and let me know if this is complete or does it belong to a larger body? I can't tell with the funny knobs on the front.

It is a super angulon 47mm f8 in a helical mount in a shutter labeled Graflex Sycchro-compur. I found a 120 roll film holder with a 2.25x3.25 mask and it attaches like it belongs there? There is so much stuff I have to go through yet and I am wondering if this is complete or I haven't found the rest of the camera:smile: It's kind of a slick little unit! Can anyone give me a reasonable value of this?

I appreciate any help you can give us! pics below
    regards
    erik

Attached Files:

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It shure looks complete, cute !
    It is a wide-angle 6x9 camera, maker ??? Value ? No idea, check at KEH for the value of the lens and back and then add quite a bit for the housing and the sportsfinder.

Great little thing and a lot smaller than a RB67 with 50mm lens.

Peter

By the way, it is a MF camera, as you have figured out by now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  3. Erik L

Erik L Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Peter, it sure is smaller than an RB:smile: I wish I could see a picture or brochure of what this really is!
    regards
    erik

4. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Question: what does it say on top of the sportsfinder ? It might give you an other clue.

Peter

5. GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Erik,
    This is a Graflex XLSW. It's basically a roll film back slapped on the back of a large format lens. Most of the XL were rangefinders, but they made this little zone-focusing outfit too, because the rangefinder models were large. It looks complete. It should consist of a lens cone with focusing mount, a film back, and the wire sight. You could replace the wire site with a viewfinder if you wanted too. The 47mm super-angulon is relatively equal to 21mm on a 35mm outfit. I think the outfit is probably worth $400-600 in good working condition, but I haven't looked at prices lately. I'm selling it's cousin, a Brooks Veriwide, on eBay right now. It's the same lens with a 6x9 XL back. I'm hoping it'll go for around $1000. I think it'll bring a premium, because it's 6x9, and doesn't have the plastic focus mount that the XL line does, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  6. GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Cambo and Sinar make/made this type of camera on 4x5 inch, maybe (but I would need a pic of the bottom side) a pistol grip belongs to it.
    Is there a tripod mounting at the bottom ?
    Can the lens be taken off ? If YES: there could be more lenses that fit this little one (I fell in love with it)

Peter

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erik, read an article about a guy who built his own camera using that lens or similar and so how stuck a roll film back on it. don't know how many he made it was awhile back. It looks like a neat camera . Poor mans SWC. I could not tell you the price, I'll give ya a 100.00 for it . mike

9. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woops to late, please ignore my first post,except the 100.oo part.

10. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    OK, this is not Ebay yet (I hope) so Mike: the reserve has not met yet.

11. Erik L

Erik L Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys, I'm very grateful! It is a 6x9 back. The finder says Wideangle Graflek/General Precision. Peter, there is a tripod mount as well on the bottom. I'm thinking something like a grip or something attaches to the front because of the nubs that are sticking out. Maybe I need to look for a grip that might be hiding somewhere in the piles of stuff I have to go through. Mike, I'll take you up on that thousand dollar offer. I'll pay shipping:smile: Peter, you're more than happy to outbid Mike:smile: Thanks for the link george!
    many thanks people!
    erik

12. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Send you a PM regards the bid.

If you find a grip to it: there may be a cable release to it too.

Peter

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    da,da,da da you say what!!!

14. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There's been something of a spate of these Graflex XLSW w/47mm Angulons lately on eBay... try an Advanced Search to see what they've recently sold for. Too, with Extar 100 in 120 coming out in April, might be a good time to get a good price with renewed interest in the format.

15. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A very similar one w/o the roll film holder sold for $410 a few days back. Fairly sure I've seen these go for not much more than $250-300 in the recent past so this might indeed be an uptick.

16. Erik L

Erik L Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Pupfish, I just got done cleaning it up:smile: ready for a sale I hope!
    erik