Is this a good photograph?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by MartinCrabtree, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't think of a better way to phrase the question. I took this is part of the test roll I shot to check out my Weston Master II meter. Ilford Delta 100 @ E.I. 80 1/60 f 8 w/K2 filter compensated for. I took this because of the range of values. The dog is black and the lighter areas are a cream color. No post other than size. It's not a print,negative scan from the lab. I'm not developing just yet. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, it's good. Do try to show the neg to an apugger in your area, she or he might be better able to see anything we cannot online. But it looks like you're off to a solid start.

3. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    little dark, but it maybe my monitor

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's good. We have a GS also, and it is difficult to get any detail in his face because it is so dark. But, there you have it. I don't know your instructions to the lab, but I like this film at ISO50 because I have problems with contrast. Particularly with the shepherd! (the collie is not a problem.)

5. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beautiful dog. I find the seeds or whatever on the grass too distracting, so I probably wouldn't print it. I think you did a good job with the exposure and development.

-Laura

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exposure looks good to me, No over exposed highlights, no blocked up shadows & a good looking dog.

7. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Great dog too.

8. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks you all. The subject,composition and such were all unimportant. I was just shooting for exposure to check out the meter after a new cell/calibration from QLM. I'm very happy with it but wanted a few opinions on my use of it. Still learning how to use it and finding out the in camera meter is a bit off from optimal. The image has lost some detail from sizing.

A far as Dog goes (yep his name) that was a rare moment when he wasn't running about chasing anything that moves. He's still a puppy and a maniac. I was taking some photos of the poppies and looked up to see him laying down and had to shoot quick. 5 seconds after this was taken he was running around the yard chasing the Silver Maple seeds the wind was blowing around.

9. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like it a lot. I think the dog's owner would be very happy with a print of this.

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it is a nice pic...on a Macintosh screen, anyhow. :D It might not be so nice on my PC.

11. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You used a K2 to lighten the cream colors?

12. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No I used it to lighten the flowers I was shooting at the time. The Dog shot was spur of the moment as he never sits still. I barely got the shot off as I'm still working out how to use the Weston meter and I had little time before the dog decided to run around chasing tree seeds flying through the air.

13. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The exposure looks good to me. The Weston seems spot on.

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exposure-wise, shadow and highlight detail are even so it's a bang-on exposure. But Delta 100 reindexed at EI80 is +0.3 stop and likely "lost in translation" during the scan. Movement of ±0.3, ±0.6 would be very noticeable on reversal film but can be inconsequential on negs (much grater latitude), and cheap scans (which often auto-correct) mightn't help. At dog-paw level, I like the image anyhow, despite a heavier bias toward tortoise-shell cats. :tongue:

And, did you reward the sub-woofer for his patience while you beavered with the Weston? :tongue:

15. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you pay to become a subscriber then you can post it in the galleries for comments and tips, etc. Just a suggestion for those who have not yet subscribed. I can highly recommend it. :smile:

16. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's in the works. However haven't not drawn a paycheck in 18 months cash is a rare commodity these days. Thanks everyone for your comments.

And I thought you Aussies spoke English? :D