is this any good?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jfoote, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jfoote

jfoote Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been out of photo for a while. I have a chance to get a Beseler Dichro 67 S2 with a A Rodenstock 50mm f/2.8 for $115 US. Does this make sense? I have seen some Beseler's for several hundred $$ new....like this one http://www.adorama.com/BEPM67D.html

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    the used market is very soft. Many times one can find better equipment sitting on a curb.

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is in good shape, yes. Check to see if you have negative carriers with it.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is good, if it is in good shape. With respect to the colour head, some of that line require a separate voltage stabilizer transformer unit to function, while others have the transformer built into the head. If there isn't a separate transformer unit, you should check its function before buying.

It may be possible to find it slightly cheaper through resources like craigslist, but that depends on local conditions.

5. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its a $100. How bad can it be? What do you want to print? If you are strictly a 35mm man, you might want to look out for a Leitz enlarger.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO it's $100. enlarger, carrier(?) Rodagon.
    If it lights up when you test it it's a reasonable price. If it's local no shipping.

You might be able to beat the price but when? and will it cost to ship it? With the Rodagon included it's fair. Offer the seller $75. & haggle with him. near $100 is good.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you shoot everything 6x7 or smaller, and it is in great condition with some neg carriers, go for it. If you shoot larger formats, I'd wait and get a bigger enlarger. Be sure to check the lens for fungus. Remember that you will need to get another lens and lens board to print medium format film. These things are usually very inexpensive when they come along with an enlarger, but are pricier if purchased separately.

8. Jose LS Gil

Jose LS Gil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jfoote, sometimes the best way to get a decent price, is to purchase a whole darkroom setup from someone that doesn't want it, or a family member left them. I have come across some very inexpensive setups for $100 for enlarger, trays, dev. tanks, ect. If you are only printing from a 35mm neg, you have a huge amount of options. Personally, I just purchased a Beseler CB7 with a Dichronic head for $150. Yes, I had to drive two hours to pick it up (I made a shooting day out of it as it was in the desert near Palm Springs), but the CB7 was the Cadillac of the Beseler's 4x5 enlargers. No neg carriers or lenses, but those I have been able to find for a few bucks too. If you get some of the other darkroom equipment that you will need, Go for it!