Is this camera a waste of time?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  2. cramej

cramej Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not for those who have $8k absolutely scorching a hole in their pocket and don't even have a clue that the stuff called film is even made any more. Yet again, Leica markets a status symbol.

3. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not only why not shoot BW film, why spend thousands of dollars on a camera? Granted, its a Leica, and yes, its a dedicated BW camera to boot, but for what that camera would cost, I can buy,develop,s*an/or print directly to paper a whole lotta pictures.

4. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely crazy. The nuts have taken over the nuthouse.

5. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Cameras don't take pictures, people do. Although it's nice to shoot with a good camera and precision lens, a Brownie in the right place at the right time will record a better picture than any precision camera with what ever dev/print/manipulation combination.

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if i had 8k, id buy it in a heartbeat

7. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had some of the best Leica gear there is up until early 2011, it was fabulous with Kodachrome no doubt. But between the prices shooting through the roof to the point that I was afraid to even put a scratch on a lens barrel and that I had no interest in paying for their M9, I sold nearly all of it and instead, bought lots of film, paper and chemistry.

I now have what I consider Leica M nirvana, my lovely grey leather covered M3 and a brand new Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar C. As nice as that Mono-M might be, it is still a computer camera that produces computer prints, no thanks!

8. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Completely loopy waste of money to buy something that expensive to try and replicate the feel of shooting with something that can be had so much cheaper and will (with the right skill) give better results and more satisfaction to boot. Still, I'm sure there will be a queue of people to buy these with more money than either sense or talent.

9. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I made it to 2:00. That far in, the piece reeks of 'film is fun but old fashioned' Read: Non-hip. There was also more than a hint of desperation in the script. Elsewhere, $1k discounts on M9s and M9-Ps. Guess those Hermes party favors aren't moving as well as was hoped.

I'm sure Leicas cost a bunch to manufacture even with the Portuguese pre-assembly but, once you've identified your product with a certain lifestyle, volume plateaus and the only way to deal with costs is via price increases. Or stoop to Japanese quality levels. :laugh: That said I hope they sell a ton, I want them to stick around.

Not my cup of tea, I'd love to have an M3 and a Summicron. Are ya listenin' Santa?

10. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finally a digital camera that's worth buying. I'd be willing to sell my first born.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Every consumer good segment will have its top dollar items. In one sense it is striking that this camera is so expensive, however, if there has to be a mega priced camera it is humbeling that it is this. I think I read there was a purse that was priced at $100K, in that context this is a steal....

12. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Answer to question posed in OP. >>>> YES <<<<

Did you know that you can take moderately good IR color images by using a heavy ND over the lens and then shooting normal scenes? Did you know that removal of the anti-aliasing screen (which provides an IR cutoff filter will improve digital IR imaging?

So, this is a real wast of money and time!!!!!!

PE

13. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks PE. I thought I was just cheap.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm amazed at how loud the motor is. I think an old fashioned lever would be better if they can't get that quieter. With the vertical shutter and no film to wind it could have a pretty short stroke.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there are plenty of flaws with film equipment, lenses that cost a small fortune,
    and crappy films, chemicals and papers ... this looks like fun, and all the cool images
    i can just reduce down to 72dpi and send to my friends and family, post endlessly on FB
    and on RFF and other lieca forms.
    well worth the hefty price tagg for that much cool factor ..
    then when i am done being cool, i can auction it off on ebooooo and get at least what i paid for it back ...
    prototypes always fetch more in auctions. you guys are being way to harsh ...

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think Kodak had monochrome (and IR) versions of its early digital cameras. I know there were 3 versions of the original DCS.

19. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if I had 8k I'd buy an M7. Right now I suffer along with my M series cameras and film.

Oh! The Humanity!

20. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can reduce down to 72dpi most any negative from a $10 Brownie or Instamatic for about the same effect and get at least what you paid for it back.

21. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh:

22. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would buy that, if i had that kind of money and needed a digital camera. I believe it to be way better than any colour RF/SLRS.

23. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have read that Leica is offering printing digital photos on silver gelatin print together with new B&W M digital...?

24. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sure it's an amazing camera but I can't see it taking 100x better images than my Yashica electro 35 that I paid $60 on ebay :smile: (Which also BTW can use color film if I choose :smile:) I'd rather find a nice used Leica film camera ..much better value.

25. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May be not, if I able to create art that are immortal. Only question is, can I able to create one? °!°

26. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had that kind of money I would buy the Phase One Achromatic. Okay it's more expensive but the files are more beautiful it has more resolution a bigger sensor, etc... I actually don't like the look of the (unprocessed) images created by the Leica M9M. For 7500 $ less I can buy an M3 and the best B/W sensor in existence B/W Film.
    The new M is a gadget for guys (mostly) that need the Leica mystique but don't want to use film. The new Leica lenses for the M9m are lacking (look) as well they are too sharp and too clean.