Is this the right moment to sell a Noctilux?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by MPandolfo, May 25, 2008.

1. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For a couple of years I was trying to convince a friend to sell me his virgin Noctilux. Last year, I gave up and bought a perfect one from eBay. I'm very happy with it. A few days ago, my friend called me accepting my original (two year old) offer and now I have two Noctis...

Both are keepers but, of course, I have to sell one, my question is: is this the right time to sell this lens?

Prices still are rising and the end of production has been announced, but there is a certain risk of an updated version or some kind of replacement to be announced, in that case, prices may go down...

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica have just released the final series of this lens. I believe that it comes in a wooden box and costs 10,000 euros! So, if you handy with the carpentry, make a small coffin and get it up for sale ASAP.
    Tony

3. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I doubt a new version would cost less. Store them in your safety deposit box until the market is such that a tidy profit can be made.

4. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can't win by speculating in Leica gear, it only keeps up with inflation.

Really.

Turn one into cash.

5. sbelyaev

sbelyaev Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd sell it for $7000-$9000.

6. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That would buy me a very nice car.

7. peter_n

peter_n Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think the price of the current lens will go down. If a new one arrives it will probably be a highly corrected ASPH lens without the glass/aberrations that makes the Noctilux so unique. It will in effect be a faster version of the Summilux 50mm ASPH so only speed junkies will like it. If anything I think the price of the current lens will increase once people realize that the "look" of the old lens isn't being reproduced in the new one (if indeed there is to be a new one).

8. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Someone sold one on auctions here in Japan, Canada made, great condition, for ¥520,000. As of 7/8/08's exchange rate that's $4,886.07.