ISO Setting Options

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by David Ruby, Nov 5, 2004.

1. David Ruby

David Ruby Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a question about how my SLR cameras exposure value "EV" function might relate to pushing film. I guess what confuses me is the .5 steps. I'm assuming that a full step is the same as one stop? The half steps must just be for a more fine adjustment right?

Where I'm going with this....My entry level SLR does not have a function to change the ISO setting for film as it reads the code on the film canister. To achieve the same affect, couldn't I simply use the camera's over or under exposure compensation feature? I.e. load 400 speed film and then set the exposure +1EV to simulate shooting this film at 200 instead of 400?

2. Shesh

Shesh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can do that. I often did the opposite (Change the ISO to provide exposure compensation) on my first TLR which did not have that ability.

3. mark

mark Member

What kind of camera do you have? If you put masking tape over the barcode you should be able to set the ISO to what ever you want.

4. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A full f stop in either direction represents either double or one half the exposure. The same holds true for shutter speed changes.

5. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey David!
    Are you sure yo can't overide the film setting?? Check your book for the camera. I have a Canon Elan7... the thing can be so automatic that it tells me what to take pictures of! :tongue: But there is a function that allows me to overide the setting for film speed. I would imagine there is one for your camera, too! Soooo check the manual & let us all know!

6. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    can't you just put tape over the DX coding stuff and then input the ASA manually? Sorry for my ignorance, all my cameras work just as well without batteries as they do with.

7. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got a Nikon N4004 and it does not have any sort of manual ISO setting ability. It sucks (in that way). If you tape over the DX (or use a non-DX canister) it just defaults to 100.

8. mark

mark Member

That sucks

9. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Actually why not make up stickers with the DX coding you want and then put them on the canister. I am sure you can find out what the coding is and using some masking tape and a black marker should do it. Just a thought.

10. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is a great idea, Eric! I have always thought that someone should just sell sheets of stickers with the coding, for poor schmucks like me. But I will have to look into whether I can just do it myself somehow.

11. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the camera will allow you to take full control over shutter speed and aperture, you could tape over the DX coding and then go from there.

12. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To make 400 into 200 speed film is pulling, not pushing. If you have manual exposure control just deliberately overexpose by a stop, then pull develop.

David.

13. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "If you tape over the DX (or use a non-DX canister) it just defaults to 100."

Same with my Minolta 450si. Its a rela problem with my bulk loaded Pan F (50) in non DX cassettes...

It just means that my old war horse (X700) will have to stay ready for action. God, I love that camera!

14. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They do. Here in Britain Jessops sell them

http://www.jessops.com/search/dointellisearch.cfm?node=411

So I'm pretty sure you must be able to get them in the States too.

15. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Guess I never actually looked for them! Just thought about it... :D

Found some! They have them at www.porters.com

16. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most entry-level cameras that you can't set the rating on will rate a non-coded film at 100 ISO. AFAIK.

17. David Ruby

David Ruby Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bar code

Unfortunately, my Pentax PZ-70 defaults to ISO 100 when you do that. Good suggestion though.