ISO-Settings on D****l-Cameras

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Ulrich Drolshagen, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

this is not meant to start a fresh d*****l-bashing thread. It's just a word of warning. If this is not the appropriate place, please moderators, feel free to warp it elsewhere.
    As we all, I need this other type of camera occasionally. So I acquired a finepix f8000fd cheap off an well known auction site lately.
    Due to the small sensor I knew that I would not be able to make use of ISO settings above ISO 400. But I was irritated that the camera exposed at f5.6 and 1/60s at ISO200 in open shadow on a bright September afternoon in the garden. I checked with a Seconic L-508 and got a more realistic reading of 1/250s at f5.6. So the camera fools me about two f-stops. I will not be able to really get anything useful out of this camera at ISO-settings larger than 100. Besides that the dynamic range is horrible. It's about three or four f-stops.

Ulrich

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest that the moderators not lock this thread just yet, since the meter accuracy of d*g*t*l cameras is actually relevant if you use one as a light meter (and I believe we tolerate all technologies for metering, right? :smile:

The results you describe really sound *remarkably* bad to me. I generally find that my "expensive meters with lenses" overexpose by a little compared to what I want---they seem to prefer to blow the highlights---but the "error" (if that's even the word; it's partly a matter of taste) certainly isn't two full stops! (Apart from the sort of situations that will confuse any meter---small shaded subjects against a bright background, and so on.)

-NT

3. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciate that some people might be using a DSLR to meter a scene, but this is off topic for APUG. I think starting such a thread over at Hybrid Photo, our sister site, might prove useful.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.