It's done - a Hasselblad is in the mail

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Antje, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, of course, we all knew this would happen... :D I found a slightly used Hasselblad 500C from 1969 with two magazines and a 150/4 in pristine condition. It belonged to a part-time portrait photographer and set me back by 440 Euros. My father, who has seen it, says it's just fine, and it had a CLA two years ago before the photog passed away. Well, we'll see...

Needless to say, I can neither sleep nor eat. :smile: I'm so excited! A Hasselblad... A dream might just be coming true.

Bad thing is: So far, my husband doesn't know. But that's no big problem, I'll tell him that I was about to buy 3-4 pairs of new shoes, but decided on the Hassy instead. :tongue: He will understand *that*!

Cross your fingers for me that everything will be ok.

Antje

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well done.

I've got a Mamiya RB67 with 50mm and 90mm lenses on it's way to me at the moment.

Steve.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Antje,

You'll almost certainly love it. I bought a 1960s 500C in the late 70s; used it for several years professionally; and sold it in the mid-80s to a friend who is STILL using it professionally (though less often than he used to, because some clients demand digi). The only reason I sold it was because in those days you didn't do your own scans and the scope for mis-cropped transparencies from purblind art directors and layout artists was enormous. I therefore went to 6x7. But if I could find a 500C at the price you paid, I'd jump at it.

Cheers (and congratulations),

R.

4. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Predictable:D

Congrats for your new camera, as previously mentioned, it`s always a great choice.

Cheers

André

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sharing your photographs you will make with it will be proof enough that both the camera and yourself are in fine condition (that is, sane enough to go with it instead of shoes or even a digicam).

6. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I exactly understand what you mean, Hassi forever ;-))

7. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the club!

Mike

8. tom_micklin

tom_micklin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations.
    I got back into Hasselblad about a year ago, after an absence of many, many years and was also very excited about it.
    Have fun.....it is a great experience.
    Tom

9. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats, I waited twenty years for my Hassy dream to come true. You will love it.

Cheers,
    Bill

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will enjoy it. There is something I find very reassuring about holding a solid hunk of real metal camera. The 150 is a great focal length. I would suggest investing in a lenshood if you don't have one - especially with the older chrome "C" lens. You'll be able to find a used 80mm fairly inexpensively if you so desire. If you're not currently using a square format (I assume your 500C came with a 12 back) then I think that 6x6 format interesting.

The only other point I'll mention it to check the light seals in the film back. Replacements are available.

OK, still one more point. I don't know if your film back is the older style where you look through an opening to advance to the first frame or the newer "A" style where it's done automatically. I have 2 of the older style backs which often sell fairly cheaply. I have found for my purposes the older style backs work just fine.

11. audungk

audungk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats on the Hassy... Got a 500cm in april this year, love at first sight!

12. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot, guys! :smile: It's here! I've just developed the first roll of film and it's drying at the moment. But I can already see that it's working just fine. Sadly, my choice of subjects was fairly limited, so I chose a Santa Claus made of chocolate. As this was a special moment for all of us, it was a Lindt one, of course. :D

What a joy to focus that thing, the lens is so smooth and the viewfinder big and bright. When it arrived, the camera was kind of sticky and dirty, but when I wiped it down, it was simply beautiful underneath. The lens is fine too with just a few marks on the barrel. The backs are the newer type (not that I would mind the old type), and I was amazed how easy they were to load. A dream. And I love the noises the camera makes. :smile:

A lens hood came with it, but no lens caps - I'll dig for some at the local camera store on Monday. A decent tripod plate is on its way, too. I need a new strap, the old one is definitely yucky. And sure, I'm already looking for a 80mm. :D

What an excellent choice this was. And my husband claims he's happy for the two of us. :wink: There IS something reassuring about it.

Antje

13. Mike Té

Mike Té Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow; that was fast!

Did it come pre-loaded with film?

Did you get a pic of the delivery man on his way down the steps?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

It sort of came pre-loaded, there was an old film still in it. I wonder what to do with that... And I was far too shaky to the a pic of the postman. :smile: For a moment I thought he might drive by our house. That was an awful moment. :wink:

Antje

16. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Antje,

Enjoy! "We pass this way but once!"

...and that's the rationalisation I'm using to justify the Rollei 35 Sonnar I've just bought to go with my Tessar.

GAS? What do you mean, GAS?! :rolleyes:

17. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank,

Your just making a small collection of Rollei and other small RF cameras. :surprised: :rolleyes:

Rich

18. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shhh... not so loud! I might hear you...

19. egdinger

egdinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Antje congrats. And about the film that was in it, I would get it devolped if it had any photos taken on, you may never know what your going to get.

20. Nokton48

Nokton48 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good going Antje.

I moved from Mamiya TLR to Hasselblad ten years ago. I bought a 500Cm new in the 70's, loved it, hated selling it, needed the money. Going back was like seeing an old friend. Now I have a fairly complete system, it's so much fun to pay with all the bits and pieces:D

Everytime I pick it up I have the pleasure of feeling I am using a truly precision instrument. That means a lot.

21. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Congratulations, you're going to have great fun with that camera :smile:

22. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Or tell him that you are going to sell the 20D soon. Who needs these expensive dust collecting toys :wink:

Regards
    -- Ruediger

23. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :D Actually, the 20D paid for the Hassy, so to speak. So the 20D is my work horse and the Hasselblad the thoroughbred I own for the fun of it. :wink: Seriously, who would have thought that ten years ago - a dSLR making the money, and the 6x6 being there for recreation?

Antje

24. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Antje. Don't know whether to take the credit or hide for pushing you over the edge with my 500CM purchase. Sounds like it's love at first sight for you and for me. Hope your husband takes it as well as my wife did...

25. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I will probably do that - though it feels strange, the photographer who owned her before me passed away. The film from beyond the grave... <shudder> :wink:

Antje

26. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Goo thing I now have someone to blame if I don't like it! :D Yes, it was love at first sight. I wasn't allowed to let it sleep in my bed, my husband said a cat was enough and we didn't need another pet in the bed. But other than that, he's fine with it. He figured out that we can actually add a digital back to it. Blasphemy, I know, but hey, if it sells him on it, it's just fine! :tongue:

Antje