It's not fun being a fun film shooter

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by MFstooges, Sep 3, 2012.

1. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I always bring a digital camera whenever I go with non photography friends. The digital is used purely for fun shoot. This time I had to go 100% film because the digital ran out of juice (they always do that). The sad thing is even my old fart friends have forgotten how to use manual film camera.
    I can't ask them to take my picture because the camera doesn't have AF and have to be cocked. Same thing happens when I ask other tourists (older ones) to shoot our picture.
    I am so sad :sad::sad::sad:

2. BoxBrownie

BoxBrownie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I often start off with digi and switch to film as I warm up. Saves me a bit of film.

3. Kc2edh

Kc2edh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I often compose the shot, taking care of all focusing and metering before asking someone to take the picture. Then it's relatively easy! You just hand someone the camera, show them the shutter release, and say "Stand here". My girlfriend's 11-year old daughter has taken some pictures with my cameras this way, as well as the occasional passing tourist. This is especially fun with the Polaroid land packfilm cameras so everyone else who's used to the instant gratification of digital and iPhones can see what they took.

4. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, they want us all to be dumb and dumber.

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regardless of the pursuit, if it's not fun, don't do it.

6. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think any of us here on APUG shoot film because it's easier. Most don't even shoot film because they feel it produces superior images. Film is a challenge, digital isn't. If you want nice clean grain-free images in gorgeous color (or converted monochrome) then digital is the way to go. If however, you relish the challenge and qualities inherent in film, then you shoot film.

7. Kc2edh

Kc2edh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry- slow internet resulted in a double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For colour, I just hand the exposed film to a good lab and get nice colour prints back.

Way easier than trying to do it with digital.

9. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1!

I shoot film because every digital gadget that's comparable in price to film is also grossly inferior.

As for people not remembering how to use a film camera, that doesn't surprise me. I had to teach an aunt of mine how to focus a Nikon, and it took some time to do that. When all most people used to do is use a point & shoot or something more sophisticated as a point & shoot, then they never really learned how to use a camera in the first place.

10. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :D I do the 'stand here' too! But between my intention to use larger aperture and the volunteer's effort trying to add her/his own artistic touch it's 50-50 possibility to nail the shot.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If something is not giving you enjoyment, satisfaction...or 'fun', why do you keep doing it? There are lots of other things to do.

12. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I work with computers all day every day and I've turned into a Luddite with regard to the rest of my life. I got rid of my cell phone years ago because the danged thing just wouldn't leave me alone. I love using my great grandfather's Weston light meter, converting from Weston emulsion speed to iso, converting the F value to a U.S. [universal system] aperture value on my 90 year old Kodak autographic with pre-flashed paper loaded... carefully leveled on the tripod, looking through that "mirrored" viewfinder, and firing it off with a cable release and counting off the seconds... Then I get the delicious thrill of wondering what it will look like when I develop it. I know a lot of you folks here do a lot more than that all the time with your photography.

But I was at a party a few months ago and someone handed me their phone and asked me to take a group picture. I didn't know which way to hold it, and then when I finally held it right, I had my fingers over the lens ( I had no clue where the lens was ). You were supposed to sort of tap at the screen to make it take the photo. So I guess I'm just the reverse of your experience. I'd be thrilled if a tourist handed me a manual focus camera, and giddy if they also handed me the light meter to get the exposure right...

13. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't have other things to do :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Had lots of fun using film today -- just used my tiny camera, the Rolleiflex. Took a hike with my boys in the redwoods, but somehow they escaped being subjects this trip! Was originally planning on using the 4x5, possibly the 5x7, but decided to go light.

Major weekend in an incredible National Park, on a popular trail, then up a large creek -- and saw four people (two sets of two people with backpacks heading back to their cars). I wonder what Yosemite was like today...LOL!

I'll be backpacking (if I can get the time off of work) in the same place in two weeks (solo, three nights, maybe 4) -- I'll probably take either the 4x5 or 5x7 on that trip -- can't backpack with the 8x10 very easily.

16. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Shooting film is the most fun -this last year, whenever there has been a family gathering (and with new nieces, there's almost too many of these things now), I have asked everyone to pose for a 5x4" portrait, which everyone is surprisingly happy to do. They probably think I'm a nut - but the strange formality and ludicrous quality of these photographs gives me great satisfaction...

Marc!

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been saying this for tears.

That's why I have never owned one. If I go out, I don't want to be contactable.

Steve.

18. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even as a digital camera shooter, I set the focus and put it in Manual Focus, preset the framing via FL selection, I set the exposure, and I tell them merely to press the shutter button while being sure we are NOT dead center bullseyed in the frame...exactly what I do with a film camera: prefocus, set exposure, set FL, and hand them the camera telling them to ONLY press the shutter button while being sure we are NOT dead center bullseyed in the frame

19. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boom goes the dynamite!

Exactly why I shoot my weddings on film. Post production sucks and I don't care how you can shoot at ISO-whatever-the-hell-you-want, your 5D Mark III is not a Contax 645.

20. alohakeith

alohakeith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This weekend I went to the beach with some friends and brought my Canon digital waterproof point and shoot camera. I wanted to take a photo and out of reflex from mostly using film cameras, put the back of the camera against my eye. Oops!! No viewfinder, just an LCD screen. :tongue:

21. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the opposite problem.

Tourists see me with a photo bag, a tripod etc. and think "this might be the right person" and ask me to take their picture.

They give me a small piece of plastic with a small LCD on the back.

Believe it or not, you have to keep this in front of you (between you and the subject) and look inside the little LCD to find traces of a composition. There usually is too much ambient light and the image is very confused.

The LCD thing also has some flashing points that probably mean the camera is focusing on the wrong place.

When I see the picture after the fact, it is usually awful. Tilted sideway, half-heads cut or feet cut away or something like that.
    I know I blush while offering to take another.
    They usually say "fine" and go away very puzzled, or happy that somebody with a complete gear set was not able to compose a picture decently.
    They probably think: "next time I'll ask someone younger".

One has to get a bit accustomed to anything new, no matter how easy it is to operate it.

22. C.poulton

C.poulton Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've given up asking people to take photos with my 'old' film cameras, they don't focus, can't use a viewfinder (where's the LCD?), wonder why there's no auto flash when shooting indoors and are incapable of winding on!

All my friends now don't even offer to take any shots with my cameras. They happily snap away with their 'phones and compact 'digicams', but refuse to handle my gear!

Was it really that long ago - have people forgotten how to use a basic film camera anymore?

I don't mind - just means that I can keep my gear solely in my hands now!

Christian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  23. Dear

Dear Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Weston light meter too, and it seems to work just fine.
    The thing is, I don't know how to translate it to iso.
    Could you please tell me how to use it?

24. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Weston = 0.8 x ISO

So ISO 100 is 80 Weston, ISO 400 is 320 Weston, etc.

Steve.

25. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How I hate the way people compose! It, of course, has nothing to do with what kind of camera. When someone takes a photo for my Wife and I, we end up with heads in the middle of the frame and chopped off at the knees. AARRRGGG!

26. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    actually, i was just thinking this weekend that I DO get better results with film -- maybe it's just because my film cameras are Leicas while my digital is a pt and sht little panasonic thingy that is hard to aim, hard to shoot accurately because of the delay and makes me lazy, but I get a far higher percentage of keepers shooting film than I do digital, and they're better composed and exposed the way I want them to be.