It's so hot here in Paris...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Joel Rainville, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Joel Rainville

Joel Rainville Member

...that not only is it near impossible to keep solutions at 20 celsius, but I could do color processing at room temperature!...

God it's hot...

2. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Joel,
    yeah, I understand Europe has had quite a summer. For business, I talk regularly to people in London. I understand it hit 96F with very high humidity the other day. Hang in there; it will make the fall all the nicer!
    Tom

3. Joel Rainville

Joel Rainville Member

Believe it or not, it's actually 102F (39C) right now and we hit 106F(41C) last week. Espana had it worse, they reached 113F(45C).

Crazy!

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

5. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually Aggie, it was cool yesterday. It was very coludy and then it rained for an hour or two. Ran us indoors for the rest of the day. The Mexicans we have working with us were cold at lunch and ordered coffee to warm them up. Usually I buy several bags of ice and several liters of coke. Nada yesterday. Today it is gonna be warm, however, I am gonna go now to the darkroom and process 8x10 film. We have it air condentioner there.

lee\c

6. inthedark

inthedark Member

LOL! We have that here every year but this year we hit over 100F 21 times, 18 in July wherein we were over 105 for something like 15 of the 18. Granted the humidity is between 15 and 20%, so yours is definitely more unbearable than ours. But seriously I have been having to work 3am to 9am to get the printing/processing done before the room temp exceeds 95F in a cement industrial bldg. Sun heats it up fast. Then stay all day for customers. It has been character building to say the least. In the afternoons, I have not been above stacking some towels as a pillow and napping under the AC vents. :grin: My sympathies are with you!

7. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Let's complain together:
    It's cold outside, 5 deg C...

(-:

Jorge O

8. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You get no sympathy from me, you live in Paris you deserve little bit of suffering......:tongue:

9. Thilo Schmid

Thilo Schmid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was trying to process a B&W at 24°C in my ATL, but the machine was not able to cool down automatically ("cold" water was actually 25°C and room temperature somewhere near 30°C). I used to throw some ice into the water bath in this case, but my ice machine has quit. Why do ice machines always fail in summer? Ah, ok, in winter it's the turn of the heating...

10. Joel Rainville

Joel Rainville Member

I will get back to my homeland, Canada, next month, just in time to catch the whole winter and suffer at the other end of the thermometer :wink:

Funny thing is, I'm kinda looking forward to minus 20 celsius right now. :D

I wonder how I will wash my film in cold weather. I am lucky here, tap water is always between 19 and 21 celsius, but in Canada during winter, I'm pretty sure it gets down around 10 celsius. How do you guys do it? (those who live up north, of course :smile:)

11. Joel Rainville

Joel Rainville Member

Wow. This is serious dedication to your job!

12. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    [quote But seriously I have been having to work 3am to 9am to get the printing/processing done. Then stay all day for customers. It has been character building to say the least.

What Jill forgot to mention is that she is really an insomniac. The heat is simply a reasonable excuse to cover her inherent tendencies.

13. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I heard a rumor about something pertaining to global warming. I am not sure what that means, but it may apply.

The north east USA has been in the soup with daily temps in the 90's and very high humidity in the 90% range. It has been like this for almost 4 weeks! Cloudy, hazy hot humid gray weather non stop, day in day out. Relief may come this weekend.

The Weather Channel said essentially the world's weather patterns have backed up on each other and weather patterns have essentially stalled out.

Global warming, deforestation, gas guzzeling SUV's are just a myth though.

14. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

15. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am a geologist, and anyone familiar with geologic history can tell you a (true) tale of wild climatic variations that can be observed in the rock record. A russian scientist named Milankovitch made the interesting oribital cycle observations you mentioned in papers published in the early 20th century. He was dismissed as a kook until the evidence began to confirm many of his theories about orbital influences on climatic variation. It is by no means the only influence, and some aspects of his theory have been refuted, but the broad idea he promoted has some merit. Google his name for a whole boatload of commentary. Here is a representative and reputable link:
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/seasons_orbit.html
    It is very hard to get real facts about this nowadays without a lot of political cant interwoven in the science. No one ever got grant money for research by stating "There really is no problem to worry about, but I'd like to research it anyway".

16. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Suffice it to say I will not debate such a highly debatable issue on this board.

17. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    LOL...you should put this one in the interesting quotes thread..

18. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try telling that to the polar ice shelves (on both ends) which are diminishing in both area and thickness at a truly alarming rate.

19. Robert

Robert Member

You mix in a little hot water-)) Here in Toronto 10C is about right year round for the cold water. Even easier just don't worry about it. The water that first comes out of the tap will be warmer and after that does the wash temp really matter that much?

20. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been watching this topic. Record-breaking heat all over Europe.
    There is a Program called "Weather Bug", that will pick up information from a great number of weather stations all over the United States. I've been comparing the weather here in "delightful" Ipswich, Massachusetts (for all who are not familiar with the geography of the East Coast, we are fairly North, about 50km North-North-East of Boston.
    For the last three weeks or so, we have been immersed in high humidity - with temperatures high enough to make it really miserable. Dew Points - the temperature where the air is completely saturated - have rarely dropped below 70 degrees F (21C) - Right now, 8 AM, the temperature is 72F (22C), and the dew point matches - 72F (22C). It will make 80-90F today, when it isn't raining.

I've been checking ... we have been beating both Houston and New Orleans as far as "heat index".

Showering is miserable - not the shower itself, but trying to dry off afterwards. Feels like you are still in there with the water running.

21. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

I can not quote the studies but it is believed that the colder the wash water is the less effective the wash is and the greater need for the time to be extended. For me here in the HOTLAND (Texas) that is not an issue.

lee\c

22. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is certainly true. Water is the universal solvent, meaning more substances are dissolved in water then any other liquid.

Consider that most photo chemicals are dissolved in temps of 80F to 110F, warmer wash waters would be more effecient. But you still have to consider the effects of too warm water on the paper, it may not be the best course.

23. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In my case the water is about 85f right now at the tap. I don't think I will harm my prints or my film washing in that temp water. That said I process at 75f in the summer to protect against reticulation of film. I don't think that washing above about 90f is wise.

lee\c