It's the mystery enlarger chassis challenge!

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by wiseowl, Apr 29, 2006.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi, can anyone help me identify this chassis. It came "free" with my Devere, however it has no manufacturers mark or model type info of any kind. I've attached pics of the rear of the column and the neg and lens stages.

It's much the same size as a Devere 504, ie about 50" high and has many similer design characteristics. Focus and height are from handles at baseboard level, instead of the wires used in a Devere it has toothed belts for the drive. Everything appears to be independantly adjustable, feet, baseboard, lens stage and neg stage. The 2 pins on the back of the neg stage are fixed, and do not move to lift the head like those on a devere.

If there's any detail that you'd like to see a photo of then just ask.

Cheers

Martin

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2006
  2. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its probably just another Devere chassis of slightly different design. If it is smaller than your current enlarger then it is probably a 203, if it is the same size it is probably a 504 and if it is bigger then it is a 507. I believe that a few years ago Devere retooled some of their enlargers with alterations to the head design.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In some ways it looks like my Durst 1000. But in other ways it's clearly different :tongue:

4. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin,

I believe this may be an enlarger sold (and designed?) by a photographic shop called George Elliot in Westerham Kent. They are now gone but were selling a De Vere 'look alike' around the time De Vere were in trouble. It looked very similar to the De Vere but had a very square head of different design.

Barry

5. boyooso

boyooso Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks to me like a devere.

but not quite like a devere....

6. Sean Tang

Sean Tang Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like the chassis of an Advena Photographic G.E.M. 504 enlarger. It is DeVere, err, 'inspired'.

7. wiseowl

wiseowl Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yep, I think you've nailed it. I found a few photo's of said beastie on the web and it's a dead ringer.

Thanks V much

Martin