It's Time For... Name That Developer!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Snapshot, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I came across a B&W developer formula a while back and I have been experimenting with it for a while, mostly with APX. I can't remember where it came from but it produces contrasty, sharp negatives with fine grain, although not as fine as XTOL. I use D-76 1+1 times for development, although it may be slightly longer than it needs to be.

The formula is as follows:

Water.............................750ml
    Sodium Sulphite, (anhy).....60.0g
    Ascorbic Acid...................15.0g
    Phenidone........................0.45 g
    Triethanolamine.................90ml
    Water to make..................1,000ml

Recommended Dilution: 1+9

It appears to be a PC-TEA derivative but it's unlike anything that I can recall. Tentatively, I've designated it as TDX-1 (TEA Developer Experimental) but I want to know what developer it is as I actually like how the negatives turn out. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  2. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never seen that formula either. The ingredients are the same as the stuff I call "Instant MYTOL" (see http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/easy-film-developers/) but the quantities of ascorbic acid, phenidone and TEA are much higher. A 1+9 dilution of that soup would have a working phenidone concentration around the same as that of XTOL 1+3, IIRC.

It differs from PC-TEA in that it has that 60 g/L of sodium sulfite in it (which tends to affect the pH as well as film grain).

Let us know how you get on with it, long-term.

3. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it does appear to share the same ingredients but in different concentrations. Ostensibly, it will perform differently but how is the real question. I'll definitely keep using it as it seems to show promise.

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you don't find the right name, you could have called it "Mac-Coffee", but then there are some developers containing real coffee...

5. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are developers with coffee in them? I guess the caffeine means you can agitate less, because of developer activity!:D

Seriously though, do tell! ...I am off to GOOGLE!!!

- Justin

6. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Coffee developers tend to be staining (unless you add vitamin c) and pull developers and they take forever (30minutes at least) to develop film. It's a neat trick but I'm not sure I'd like to use it all the time. Basic recipe is just instant coffee, washing soda (calcium carbonate), and water and the starting amounts are on digitaltruth's technical data section.

7. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Coffee makes a decent developer, a couple of years ago there was a good buzz (pun) here due to it.

Donald Qualls has published some stuff in Caffenol/Folgernol, and also there is an article in the staining-developers section of the recipes here.

8. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess that I'll play around with the developer until I find out who formulated it.

9. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope you got my pun. PC-TEA and Mac-Coffee. It didn't contribute much to the discussion, but I think cafeharrar is in the kitchen at the moment, developing film. :munch:

10. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I did get the pun. However, I though Mac users would favour TEA over coffee. :smile:

11. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh I will be, JPD, I will be. Just have to figure out what to do for the half-hour dev time as I can't open the door without flooding the room with light! I am thinking a series of coffee related shots, developed in coffee, and printed on paper, again developed in coffee... NOBODY STEAL THAT! :D Next thing I know someone will give an example of it being done before... :rolleyes:

And, just because this smiley kills me every time... :munch:

- Justin

12. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Washing soda is sodium carbonate with a bunch of water of crystallization. Calcium carbonate is limestone which would probably work as filler to take up airspace in a developer bottle, or to pave your driveway. Just a slip of the periodic table, I expect.

13. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry, I forgot exactly what it was. I knew it wasn't Bicarbonate so I was concentrating too much on not typing that.

14. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you ever get anywhere with testing this?

15. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Craig,

I did manage to play around with it and it does give decent negatives, similar to XTOL at 1+1 dilution. It also seems to be well buffered but for practical purposes, it isn't any better than XTOL except it is a little sharper. However, it lasts for at least 3 months in stock solution form without significant degradation.

16. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a serious affliction which has been triggered by this thread. Just stop it guys! Please! I have never met a new developer formula that hasn't caused me to drop everything and try it! I gotta get out and take real photographs!!!!! (Right after I mix me a batch of this here XtolXtra and try a few films in it!!!)

17. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Unfortunately, it appears that it's not the caffeine so much as it is the other stuff, so caffeine tablets don't work. Fortunately, if you don't like it photographically, you can still stay awake on the rest of the instant coffee.