I've come full circle.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by powasky, Jan 3, 2013.

1. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I began shooting eight years ago with a Yashica Electro 35. From there I transitioned to digital, with a 30D (gave it to a friend), a 7D (sold it), and now an EM-5 (which is currently up for sale...go figure). With each progressive "upgrade" to my kit I was feeling more and more detached from the photographic process and the images I was capturing. I missed the intimacy I felt when I was using my Electro.

So here I am. I've signed up for a darkroom class at a local college, and picked up an F3. A family friend recently gifted me 90 rolls of 135. And not two months into my analog adventure, I'm resurrecting a Pocket Kodak and learning to shoot 120.

It feels good to be back.

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film is a lot more of fun, isn't it. Thanks for posting.

3. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome. I did a similar thing, spent 5years in the other world before migrating back to wet side.

You'll find us a very easy going community with so many people willing to share their knowledge. You only have to ask.

4. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

5. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I tried for a while to move to digital, simply because it's so much easier, no ongoing costs, easy backups etc. I've now accepted though, that film is for me, it's not perfect, but just so much more fun, and the cameras are simply beautiful by comparison. Digital ticks all the boxes, but leaves me cold inside.

6. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! I switched from digital to film about 6 months ago. Now I'm contemplating selling my digital equipment. Film is a lot more interesting and challenging than digital.

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back for sure. I've been shooting for close to 33 years and while I've never got serious as with a DSLR I do have a few P&S digicams over the years, latest a fairly high-end one (Sony NEX-6). It's used mostly for family snaps and such, and mostly by my wife. I do have adapters to use my old Leica, Nikon and Contax/Yashica glass with it too and although its fun to use those lenses and see the digital results it just does not click with me. So 98% of my work continues to be traditional B&W with older Leica, Nikon, Rolleiflex and LF cameras. Such a completely different process shooting film is to digital not only in the quality results but the mentality too.

8. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great.. welcome to APUG. I know what you mean as far as having an intiment relation with taking photo with film. For me, I found that having a limited amount of exposures (120/12 ex) I found I had better quality images as far as composition. You have to think.

ToddB

9. dazey

dazey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am new here and starting to do a full circle too! I started off on B+W film many decades ago, finishing film on a pentax SLR. I have been shooting digital Nikon for a while now and also have a Nex body with a collection of rangefinder lenses. I have decided to go back to film for a while to get a full frame body that I can shoot rangefinder lenses with (Leica M9 being out of budget). I also miss Tri-x! Unfortunately all my old film processing kit got sold, so that I will have to buy again but I do have a film scanner this time. Looking to get a Bessa or a zeiss Ikon at the mo.

10. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome home

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, hope you enjoy being here.

Jeff

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

13. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG!