I've got negatives!!!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ChristopherCoy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was going through a small box of stuff that came with my camera, and I found a box if these. It was a box of 20, and there were 16 left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353016995.472355.jpg

So I sacrificed one to see what it was. I actually thought it was ancient instant peel apart film. I soon realized that it was actual film in a convenience pack. The expiration on the box was 2001.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017110.485674.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017122.132404.jpg

Then I realized that I could take it apart quite easily. So I took two apart and put them in the 4x5 fidelity elite holders that arrived this afternoon.

What else is there to photograph in the back yard but the dog, so that's what I did. I put the SG on the tripod and begged and pleaded for the dog to hold still. He obliged. And then I shot a flower vine that is growing on our fence! Developed them in XTOL, and this is what I got!

My very first two 4x5 photos taken with a 70+ year old camera!! And my first two 4x5 photos ever!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017354.839944.jpg

I'll scan them later on, but I'll have to piece them together because I only have a V500. Tomorrow I'll try contact prints.

They look a little thin, but I don't know if that's underexposure, age of the film, or problems with the camera - but I'm certainly excited to continue experimenting!!

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! Nice feeling isn't it?

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about being more positive next time!

4. ChristopherCoy

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Sorry! LOL I get a bit carried away, but I'm so flipping excited about this newly found inspiration!! I can't wait to do more...

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great.

6. mark

mark Member

Both of those are printable. Believe me I have exposed and printed far worse exposures.

7. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I was going to point this out too--- for a first effort with LF and unknown film--- very nice. Also nice to see someone with some serious enthusiasm...LOL Have fun there.

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me, T-Max 100 always looks thin when shot at 100. I expose it at ASA 50 for better density. And those are readyloads, you can shoot them without holders in a Polaroid 545 if you have one.

9. ChristopherCoy

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well here is a quickly scanned, and pieced together negative. I'm thinking its at least 2 stops under exposed, but I still can't wait to go into the dark room tomorrow morning and try to contact print it. Most of the dust is from the very dirty scanner bed.

Attached Files:

10. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The dog isn't underexposed at all, note that there are no clear portions on the negative where detail has been lost. You don't want any more exposure than that or the highlights will get flatter as they shoulder-off.

The vines likewise look like they probably have enough exposure but they could possibly use a bit more development (I guess it was flat light); another half-stop might get some of the shadows off the toe a bit.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One definitely has indicators that there is a high probability that it is a dog. The second negative appears to be flowering plants of the genus Tropaeolum, commonly called nasturtiums.

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Your positiveness re your negative makes me happy. Keep up the fun!

13. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :happy::w00t::w00t::happy:

14. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Christopher,

If you want a holder for the film packets, I have an extra one I could send you for the cost of shipping. This way, you don't have to take them apart and risk dust getting on the film before exposure. PM me if you're interested.

15. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know which made me more excited, the first time i developed my own negatives (135 in Germany, not knowing what the heck I was doing) or the first time I developed 4x5 negatives (at NESOP taking my first professional class). Oh yeah, my first 8x10 was pretty exciting also.

Maybe a tie. I like your enthusiasm. Don't get carried away with more development, it makes the negatives harder to print. Those negatives look pretty darned good for your first efforts and using outdated film.

Get some real film, somewhere in the 100 to 125 speed range and perfect your development technique. And... go out and shoot. Lots.

tim in san jose

16. ChristopherCoy

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered the Arista box and took my first 4 photos today. MUCH BETTER negatives this time! Shot these inside, f4.5 at 1.5 secs. I'm hoping to contact print them later tonight or tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354568471.099009.jpg