I've heard APX 100 is no longer!!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Eric Rose, Aug 13, 2003.

What B&W film do you use the most?

1. Tri-X 400

88.0%
  2. Tri-X 320

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. HP5+

4.0%
  4. FP4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Plus-X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. APX 100

8.0%
  7. APX 400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Now I'm really upset! This is/was my main film. I think I'm pretty much finished with AGFA is this is the case. They have toasted 3 different films that I used a lot and were outstanding.

I don't know where their heads are, but I bet it smells real bad!

Eric

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once used Tri-X exclusively (4x5, 120, 35mm). Kodak changes things so frequently, I've given up. I'm trying Efke and JandC films and think I'm going to be very happy with them.
    juan

3. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last time I really used Agfa was the silver boxed 50 ASA slides (some 30 yrs ago), very good, BTW.
    Suddenly, they simply left the country for all practical purposes.
    Looks like a downhill path against Kodak and Fuji.

Jorge O

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

5. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maco UP25+ is a good substitute for APX 25 (Cachet on other side of the Pond). They do a nice 100 speed emulsion which comes in every size you can think of.Otherwise Fortepan which is cheap and stains very well .Haven't heard about APX 100 getting the chop but I'm going to call up Silverprint and get the 411. At least APX 400 is alive and well .

BD

6. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Aggie,

No need to grumble. Let's just support those that support us. And make sure the managing "suits" really hear us. A concerted effort by all those that are dedicated to analogue photography is called for at this moment in time. Only those manufacturers/stores/shops that are interested in us deserve our dollars/euros or whatever currency. Time to make a statement to the fashion conscious management loonies and the joiners of the bandwagon that we love being analogues and we are not impressed by ephemeral share prices. This is not another contribution towards the "big" analogue versus digital debate. I want my own photography - negative translated into positive. I have the inkling there's so many like me/us: photography the way WE want it. Industry ignore us at your peril.

Hans

7. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This is a serious undertaking and the equipment costs a lot of money. I mean a lot of money. No I meant to say a lot of money.

lee\c

8. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's all a matter of money. Companies exist not to satisfy customer needs, but to make money (that's top lie number one).

Analog photo is under heavy competition of digital, mostly among color users.

Now, let's look at analog market:

- Mostly color, used with P&S and single use cameras.
    - Some B&W 35mm.
    - Less B&W MF.
    - A bit of B&W LF.

Now, you are Mr. Big Brass, your yearly bonus (and those nice vacations/new SUV/etc) depends on reducing costs.

Where would you focus?

Jorge O

And, BTW, the list above is the order things will disapear in the future. :cry:

9. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    First I've heard of APX100 going away. I just bought a bunch of it from Calumet (face-to-face transaction) and nothing was said about it. To the Agfa website.

10. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sure hope this isn't the case. APX 100 is my film of choice for both 35mm and MF...plus it's darn cheap. Its all I ever buy for medium...If i want to go slower I've been using EKFE 25. If they are getting the chop then I'm going to have to forego a new LF lense in order to stock up on APX100 and a bigger freezer...lol

11. Robert

Robert Member

Agfa doesn't have a great history of updating it's websites on time. The rumour seems to be it's been killed in 4x5 size? Considering they just released a new 400 speed version I can't see them killing the smaller formats. I wonder if this means that 9x12 will still be available?

12. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They sell boxes of 25 at my local shop for 10 bucks. I'll have to ask next time I go there, whether or not it's getting the ax.

13. Thilo Schmid

Thilo Schmid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not yet seen any official confirmation of that. But there are rumors that APX Sheet Film will be dicontinued. And that wouldn't be a big surprise for me.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Thilo Schmid

Thilo Schmid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer T-Max and sometimes Delta, which are not included in the poll. Why?
    Aren't they real B&W films? :smile:

16. Robert

Robert Member

No-))

17. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    EFKE PL100 and PL25 isn't included either, nor the MACO films???

Last few weeks I've been using MACO IR820c and EFKE PL100 only - I ran out of FP4+...

18. Thilo Schmid

Thilo Schmid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what does this mean? There are still plenty of Films to chose from. We shouldn't be over-pessimistic. Products come and products go. Recently introduced B&W films include Maco Cube 400, MACO AURA, Acros, ORTHO+ and the Kodak relaunches. Although the variety declines, there are still innumerable combinations of Film/Developer around. Go ahead and try something new! That keeps you from rusting :smile:

19. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hear say is always suspect. I checked that other website and found nothing and the Agfa website also says nothing.

Please substantiate.

20. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  21. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just tried that link and it won't work. Hmm. Anyway, there's a thread in the Large Format Forum on photo.net containing an email from Agfa confirming that manufacture of APX 100 has been discontinued in 4 x 5. There's no mention of any other sizes.

22. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I tried to include other films but it seems the polls are limited to 7 lines.

Ole those other films you mentioned are not easily obtain here in Canada. At least in my part of the woods anyway. We just get the usual stuff from Kodak, Fuji, Ilford and Agfa.

Kodak pissed me off years ago and I have tried like the dickens to avoid using their products. Unfortunately I find HP5 lacking in contrast but will have to experiment with FP4 once again. It was just that the APX 100 was SO sharp and had such a beautiful tonal range, wimper wimper...

23. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was able to wean myself off apx100 by moving to 8x10

24. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TriX and Delta 3200 are my favourite 35mm films and I use FP4 and Delta 100 on all other formats. If I had to choose one only it would have to be TriX for I think it's so versatile, I've exposed it at 100 ISO through to 1600 ISO and have never been disappointed with the results.

25. Robert

Robert Member

If you're willing to mail order Eight Elm street in Toronto lists Forte film and Berger. Henry's carries some Maco products.

I've never worried about them since APX was so good and so cheap. I guess I'll have to try something else.

26. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Seems there are different stories from different parts of AGFA. Typical large corporation stuff. I think I will order a bunch just in case. :cry:

Hi Eric,

Your email has been forwarded to me for a response. We have had no
    official notification from the factory about 4 x 5 APX 100 (our code B9FSE)
    being discontinued. We do have inventory available in our Toronto
    warehouse, so if you're concerned about a possible discontinuation then you
    have the opportunity to stock up! Please contact you local dealer if you'd
    like to place an order.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional
    questions.

Regards,

Phil Nielsen