J&C A49

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by seadrive, Sep 9, 2005.

1. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys and gals,

I bought some Classic 400 sheet film from JandC. They say it "works nicely" with their A49 developer, so I bought some.

It comes in A and B packets (two per order), which I understand you mix together to create a litre of stock solution, but...

Is there a recommended temperature for the water before you start stirring in the powders, and (more importantly) does it matter which one goes in first, A or B?

TIA!

Steve

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used 90 degrees, mixed in A then B. I hope you like A49 better than I did.

3. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Paul.

What didn't you like about A49? Other than Pyrocat, what would you recommend for use with Classic 400?

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had used Atomtal when I lived in Italy and could not get Microdol X and A 49 was reported to the East German version of Atomtal, when Kodak stopped production of the 1 quart mix of Micordol I gave A 49 a try. I had to double the posted development times for most films I was using, just seemed flat, to get a really good shadow detail (zone II) had to expose at EI 100 with Tri X and Classic 400, and still had to extend development. The last box 4X5 and 120 of classic 400 I used Microdol X 1:3 and HC 110 with good results, I think D 76 would also be a good bet. I am now working with 777 and Edwal 12 with HP5 and PF4, my guess is that classic 400 would work as well once you have EI and times worked out. I understand that staining developers work well, but I dont use pyro's.

5. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok, you asked for it...

With Classic 400 I've used Rodinal 1:25 8 minutes with good results, another favorite is PC-TEA 1:50 for 11 minutes, or DK-50 for 5 minutes. I've never used Pyrocat, but for a staining developer, I've gotten good results with PMK, and PMK+.

-Mike

6. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to determine film speed right now, so I think I'll go with D76. JandC's development info web page says to use straight D76 for 8.5 minutes, so I'll try that.

The only pyro developer I have at the moment is ABC Pyro, which apparently is not recommended (no development time given) for use with Classic 400, but only with Classic 200.

Anyone know why?

Steve

7. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only reason that I can see is for issues of grain. If that is not a concern for you, then I would say go for it.