J&C Classic 400 development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mwtroxell, May 17, 2008.

1. mwtroxell

mwtroxell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I recently found two 25 sheet boxes of J&C Classic 400 8x10 film in my freezer (out of date by two years but unopened and bought fresh from J&C). Can anyone suggest a starting film speed and development time for this film. I haven't done any developing in the last 2 years (college) and I don't want to use up any more of it in testing than I have to since it is not available anymore. I used to develop it in Pyrocat-HD but have lost all my development time records. I also have HC-110 and D76 available.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look for Forte Pan 400, that was sold as Classic pan by Fotoimpex who supplied some of J&C's film & paper.

I use the same dev time for Forte 400 and Tmax 100, 15 mins in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20C.

Ian

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can use the times for Tri-X as a starting point. I found with most developers that I usually use, about 10-15% longer than the Tri-X time worked pretty well for Fortepan 400.

4. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    About 12 minutes for Pyrcocat HD, 2:2:100.

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, For Fortepan 400 I also use 15 mins in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20C. (with minimal agitation).

6. mwtroxell

mwtroxell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used to buy chemicals and paper at a WolfCamera store since it was the only camera store within 30 miles. I just stopped by there yesterday and they do not sell chemicals or paper anymore. Since I'm going to have to order chemicals, I guess I'll stick with Pyrocat-HD. Since I normally use Pyrocat-HD with minimal agitation, the 15 minuate 1:1:100 suggestion , rating film at 400 sounds like a good starting point. Thanks.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100m for dish processing and this reduces the time to 9 minutes, for my requirements.

Ian