James Welling rayographs/photograms

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by lewis-richards, Aug 16, 2010.

1. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been doing some research recently on a photographer called James Welling and I would like to know how does he put the colour into them when making them through the enlarger? below is an example of what I mean. Hope someone can help.

Attached Files:

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Taking a WAG it looks like he contacts a B&W shadowgram negative to color paper, exposing it with colored light or with a color gel mask in the light path. Or it's digital...

3. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    this looks very much like a photograph on ilfochrome!!!

4. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had to guess then I would say they were bleached and toned with different toners after the photogram was produced.

5. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks similar to the colour in the photograms of Adam Fuss. Like Mr Frizza said, I believe his work is cibachrome.

6. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    from the mouth of the artist himself

"First I take Plumbago blooms, about 6-8 stalks to work with in a session, and in the dark, I take a sheet of 8×10 inch film out, put it under the enlarger, place a few flowers on the film and expose to light. Then I process the black and white negative and let it dry. I do about 6-8 at a go. I then contact print the negatives to see what they look like, and I cull the best ones and print them 37 × 46 inches using a color mural enlarger on Kodak Endura Metallic paper. In the first Flowers I made exposures using a filtration I knew would give me certain colors…red, green, orange, purple, indigo, yellow, blue. In the next group, 2005 Flowers, I used 2-3 filter combinations, shading parts of the paper and making second exposures with other filter sets…"

7. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everybody, I really want to give this a go at some point soon when im in the darkroom :D