Jasper 4x5 in early october

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by larkis, Sep 23, 2009.

1. larkis

larkis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going to jasper and banf (canada) for about 10 days and would like to get some tips from people who have traveled there with a 4x5 camera during that time of year. I typically shoot black and while but would like to get some color as well. Would color neg or transparency be more appropriate for that landscape ? Are the days overcast/cloudy with little contrast in october ? Any tips and pointers would be great.

2. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That will be a great time to travel through there. It is after the "tourist season" and before it gets too cold. It has been a few years since I have gone through the Rocky Mountains but the mountains do not change that much. For me I was just shooting 35mm at the times I've gone there and your best chances are the early mornings. In the mornings the air is clear and cold. Take a few extra warm things with you eg . wool socks, light movers gloves (good for fine adjusting and focusing) a warm jacket, sturdy boots. If you have time check out some of the small lakes through there. Lake Loise and Miette Hot Springs are a few beautiful locations. But beware if you do go off the "beaten path" the bears that may be there are not particularly fond of people. And listen to the locals they are the ones who know the area and the hazards. Have fun and shoot lots.

3. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Second what dwc says, and add that the weather changes can be very sudden.

4. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good choice for your trip would be to get a copy of How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies by Darwin Wiggett. The book is a comprehensive guide to some of the best sites to photograph in the parks. Book should cost about $15 and you can check it out here
    http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Canadian-Rockies-Darwin-Wiggett/dp/1551536412
    Weather this time of year can vary from the record high temperatures last week to 10C or lower. Colours are changing now abd should last for the nest couple of weeks or longer. There has been some light snow on the mountain tops on the Jasper Parkway in the last couple of weeks. Bears are foraging for food before they begin to den up so be aware. Make sure to have some warm clothes in your car in case of an emergency.
    Gord

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a gorgeous area. Banff is the picture-postcard park but Jasper has always called to me a little more loudly. It's quieter, but no less beautiful.

There are some gorgeous sites in the adjacent British Columbia parks too (Yoho and Kootenay). Mount Revelstoke National Park is just west on Highway 1 and is also gorgeous, although for me it's more of a late spring park.

Just shoot - and be prepared for anything. You could have temperatures as high as the mid-20s and as low as well below freezing.

6. larkis

larkis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will shoot a lot of B&W but i also want to take a few boxes of color. Do you guys recommend negative or slide film for that particular location ? Or should I take a bit of both ?

7. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    where's jasper?? left or right of toronto?

8. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take what ever you can, a bit of both. You will not regret taking TOO much. Except if you plan hiking and carrying a lot of weight it can be a very good workout. A majority of good pictures can be taken steps away from your transportation.

Have a good time and post some of your shots after you have them printed

9. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fall seems to be running a bit late this year, which is nice. There may be quite a bit of colour remaining up there when you arrive, larches etc.

Take colour and B & W.