jdef - personal tragedy

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Eric Rose, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It is with some sadness I stumbled across the following post on Jay's 510 Pyro Blog. While some may have had their differences with Jay, he is/was certainly passionate about his photography and helping those that are interested in his version of Pyro.

I think as a community we could set personal differences aside and wish Jay the best of luck and express our concerns and hopes for a speedy resolution to his situation or at least the strength to get thru it.

Quote:

I recently sufered a personal tragedy and can no longer practice photography. There is a lot of information on 510-Pyro at photo.net, apug, and Tuan's Large Format site, posted by me, or other users. There is a small but growing community of 510-Pyro users, and I'm sure many would be happy to answer questions and share their experiences. I'm sorry I can't be more help. Good luck.

End Quote:

Does anyone have any further information or some way to contact Jay via phone?

This is truly sad. My prayers go out to him and his family.

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thread moved to "Photographers".

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have tried to email Jay a couple of times at an address where we previously had private correspondence - the email didn't bounce, but I've never gotten a reply. I hope that he and his family are OK.
    juan

4. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

Perplexing. I would think that photography in one form or another as an expressive medium is the one thing that someone would want to have to fall back upon when facing adversity. You can't express compassion in a vacuum...

5. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    <edit>

Sorry to hear about his misfortune.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  6. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A rather perplexing position I must say. Who knows maybe he's blind, but I have no idea. Why do you find it so hard to express or feel any type of compassion without knowing the details?

7. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well well well, our little community certainly has changed. It seems some people just can't bury the axe except in someones back.

I have been getting all kinds of PM's from people who feel empathy for Jeff but are afraid to post to this thread as they feel their post may be butchered or deleted. Some fear future retribution if any positive things are said about Jeff.

This saddens me. What has APUG come to?

I can full well imagine the headaches Jeff gave the moderators but come on people he's a human being in pain. Show a little compassion. I must say I have suffered the crossbow shots from Jeff as well, but I feel I can look at things on a bit higher plain, and still relate to his suffering on a human to human level.

Maybe it's true what others say about us (APUG) on the other photo web boards.

Oh ya and don't dare post the address (even just the city) of some photographer you might know that is giving courses or workshops on analog photography if they are not an APUG member. That it seems is against APUG regulations.

8. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eric: I can't speak for others, but I don't know what to express. When you subtract the sentences about the website and Pyro, we are left with this:

"I recently sufered a personal tragedy and can no longer practice photography."

That's really pretty cryptic. You, perhaps, knew him better, and feel some concern. But your original post was asking if anyone knew more information, and I sense that the lack of response to this thread is a sign that this is all the community is asking, since no one apparently knows. I could be wrong.

I don't wish jdef ill, but I don't know what to wish for him. Somehow, just writing "best wishes" on an internet forum just doesn't seem to do it.

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, yes it has. And it saddens me, too. Probably for different reasons than you, Eric, but the site isn't what is was.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I can only wish the best for jdef. Not knowing his situation it is a bit hard to do anything more than have sympathy for him.

I too am surprised, and disappointed, that already we are having responses edited or outright deleted. Surely, they weren't that bad.

11. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's an understatement to say the least. Look, this guy was banned from the forums for several reasons. On a human level yes, I truly am sorry he has undergone some sort of tragedy. How are we to assume he wants to be contacted? What gives us the right to plaster his public information on a web forum? Who is being unethical here?

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be very clear. Jdef is not a member and has stated that for personal reasons he is leaving photography. If he were a member he could post. he is not. Discussing or worse trying to find out about a person’s personal issues on line when they are unable to defend themselves is, to me, beyond the pale.

What business is it of ours?

If jdef wanted the information known he would have posted it on his blog.

The post I deleted gave personal information about how to find jdef. Posting personal information of members and non-members without their consent is wrong.

Frankly I am sorry i didn't delete this thread when I first saw it.

13. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I wish the very best for JDEF even though he was vitriolic in his hatred of me. That said, I haven't missed his input at all. I hope he recovers and is able to move on. We are all so very fragile, it could be me or you tomorrow.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So just mentioning what town he lives in is considered unethical?? Jeff posted what I originally quoted on his blog which is also a public forum, so repeating it is not IMHO unethical.

As far as I'm concerned the issue is closed. I now have enough info from those that have PM'd me to contact Jeff myself.

Go ahead and delete the thread, obviously I'm the bad guy here. Burn me for caring.

16. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wish Jay all the best.

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As best as I can tell, JD Callow's decision to delete personal information about jdef from a public thread has nothing to do with the fact that it's jdef--it's just that it's personal information, and we don't know if he wants it to appear on the internet, so it seems prudent not to post it in the public forum. If individuals want to share this information privately in PM or e-mail, that's another story.

18. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will also amend the forum rules to reflect this. Personal details should not be posted in forums unless there is consent involved. Private correspondence to exchange details is fine. This site is heavily indexed by search engines so these personal details would be linked everywhere likely against someone's will. This thread is already indexed in google and yahoo. search google for "jdef" and it's the 2nd hit.. If he contacts one of the members with information to post they are more than welcome to post it.. this is not the first time we have removed such information from the forums, possibly the first time it was met with hostility though.

19. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and let's not lump all APUG members/subscribers because of PM's you received.

What has APUG become?
    It is not an entity, just a forum.

I wish Jay well whatever his affliction.

20. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lets use an example: The information in my signature is more than sufficient to find my exact address, phone number, car registration, annual income and so on. Yet if anyone were to gather this and post it in a public forum I would be VERY upset! Posting a link to another website where the information is given would be far better, especially if that were my own website.

The rule is very simple: You can post whatever you like about yourself, but not about others.

--------------

And I too wish jdef all the best - I have a weak spot for intelligent dissenters. And jdef is no "bullheaded troublemaker". :smile:

21. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember that a model release is mandatory for a photographic likeness that doesn't come close to identifying an individual on an international website...ya hafta know the person to recognize her/him. But personal information like address, phone number, real name if otherwise withheld, etc. is fodder for web predators of all kinds. Such information should only be permitted to be made public with the full knowledge and consent of the subject. It's light years away from censorship to withhold such data...it's considerate and protective of privacy, and perhaps even legally required in some sovereign entities.

22. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know the gentleman; apparently his presence and noteriety on APUG precede my joining.

I fully concur that no one's personal contact info should be posted to a thread such as this. When I asked for someone's the other day; Sean was good enough to give it to me - but via PM; not in the thread.

If someone has such info, and feels a responsibility to want to pass it on to others - it should be done via a PM or e-mail.

We love you, Eric. And we're all still rolling on the floor about your nekkid man shot; but I saw the post that was deleted. Rather than providing the info you did - you merely had to say "PM me for details" and that would have taken care of it.

23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i wish jay a speedy recovery from whatever his affliction.

24. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I stumbled on to this thread tonight which asks the same question (back in June). Some light shed but not much.

25. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A good guess (based on statistics) is that he is getting a divorce.

Another guess is that he has gone dig.... :sad:

26. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever the reason for Jay to give up photography is irrelevant as far as this forum is concerned, it is his private business. I had my differences with him just as many others here did but I wish him well and hope that the tragedy he is experiencing turns out to be less serious than first thought.

Come on folks please stop bickering about this, give some time to think well about and for Jay and return to making photographs as well as exchanging tips, ideas and encouragement to all who visit APUG.