Jerry Uelsmann

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My girl friend were gallery hopping at 49 Geary in San Francisco and found a great photo gallery. Here's the link:

http://www.modernbook.com/static.html

They publish books and I saw a Jerry Uelsmann book that they published. I've been an admirer of Uelsmann work for decades. Ignorant of Mr. Uelsmann's current technique, I thought he switched over to Photoshop. One of the knowledgeable gallery employees told me that Jerry Uelsmann still uses his old darkroom techniques. I found that inspiring.:D

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    His wife is the Digital one. They were both in Atlanta last month for Altanta Celebrates Photography

3. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I often wondered if Jerry felt left behind since the start of the digital age. His work which is so inspiring and skillful can be produced by a novice using PS (maybe not to the same level).

4. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a Ying/Yang relationship

I saw Maggie Taylor's book at Modern Book Gallery also. She's very talented.

5. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modern Book is a *great* gallery, you can walk in and meet the owners on any given day, and they share a generous amount of love and knowledge about the craft. I was fortunate to be in a juried class where they gave advice and encouragement to each of us on how galleries work, how to present your work, etc. In the end, we were allowed to show in their space. Very good people, all of them.

btw, seeing an Uelsmann in person is pretty staggering...

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
  6. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think you need a very good "eye" to be able to make something close to Uelsmanns work, even in PS. It's a bit more than just cut and paste, but I agree with you TEX that it is technically easier. Although I find some of his work not to my own liking, others are just breathtaking. Thanks for reminding me.

7. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of years ago, he told me he's using Photoshop and digital methods. He may have been referring to his platinum prints, printing of which he farms out to a place in Texas - Houston, I believe, but I could be wrong.
    juan

8. Gadfly_71

Gadfly_71 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jerry just gave a talk at the MOPA in San Diego a few weeks ago. He is still very much a darkroom worker. I'm assuming that his use of digital tools is limited to reproducing his work in a larger scale. The show of his that's up on the walls now, is all Silver Gelatin with the exception of one print (and his wife's work).

9. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A novice cannot do in Photoshop what Uelsmann does. I've used Photoshop for years for both commercial work and creative work and it is NOT easy. It took years to learn it and get skilled enough to be able to combine images so they look natural. Not something I do for my fine art work, but I have to for commercial and graphic design stuff I do fairly often.