Jim Galli, you out there?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by sdivot, Jan 3, 2008.

1. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I was in a quandry as to where to post this. Large format, medium format, camera building, etc.
    I decided to do it here, and let the masses come to me.
    I recently bought one of those wee petzvals that Jim Galli had for sale. Hmmm, what to do with it? I had a vague idea that eventually turned to an avalanche of invention (for me at least).
    I love the large format, as evidenced by my ownership of an 8x10 and a 4x5, but alas, due to health issues, logistics, and not a small amount of laziness, lugging a view camera is just not for me.
    Medium format, a scanner, Photoshop (sorry), Mark Nelson's PDN system, and the gum/gumover platinum process, that's where it's at.
    But how do I get that old world look that I love so much?
    I bought a Pentax 67 bodycap, a piece of plumbing something or other from Home Depot, the fuzzy side of some velcro strips, some tape, and after a little dremel tool action, voila!
    I focus by simply pulling/pushing the lens in and out. It focuses from infinity to about 2 feet or so.
    See the attached pics with a preliminary of one of the first images. I'll probably not get any of those elusive swirlys, since the image circle is probably too big for the 6x7 format, but I like the result so far.
    Thanks Jim,
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    gorgeous photo, steve.

you could see if Jim has anything in an even shorter petzval :smile:

3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Medium format lensbaby. There you go.

4. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Petzval on medium format! Cool :smile:

I heard Jim was beamed up for negoitiating the 08`batch of Area 51 lenses... :smile:

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Does Home Depot know what you're doing with their plumbing supplies? Love that make-it-work urge!

6. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Wow! Too cool for school. What was the thingy that you put the felt strips into? Gorgeous result and it can't get any better than focus ttl. Bravo! I better hound the little green guys to find me some more of those! The photo is perfect in 6X7.

7. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Jim,
    I'm not sure what the thingy is. I found it in the plumbing section. It is plastic and about 2 inches in diameter and has a flange on it. I had to put the dremel tool to the flange to make it fit into my bodycap, and glue the two pieces together.
    The lens fits perfectly into the velcro lined tube. No damage or modification to the lens is required at all. I put some masking tape around the lens "hood", in order to give me a visual limit for pushing it into the body of the camera (ie, if I push it in too far, the mirror hits it). This is not a problem, as it focuses at infinity before the tapestop is an issue.
    The lens fits just snug, but slides perfectly in and out of the tube. It just couldn't be any better.
    I've experimented with other things in the past (homemade lenses on a Kiev camera, lensbabies, etc). But nothing satisfied me. I am now satisfied beyond my wildest expectations.
    Thanks for a smooth transaction, and I hope I've given a new life to an old classic.
    Steve
    ps: Anyone want to buy a like-new Kiev 88 body, with a back? I ran one (count-em, one) roll through it. It worked fine, but it isn't for me. Or a lensbaby? Anyone, anyone ??

8. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those pipe fittings from Home Despot are a great source for tubing to make extensions for lenses and also lens cap/shutters

9. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An update. Here are a few more images from the wee petzval.
    Jim, you need to give me a kickback for all this promotion I'm doing.
    I LOVE this lens!
    :D
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Attached Files:

10. Tori8x10

Tori8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Those images are beautiful! I'm in awe of people who can put together what you have and make it work so well.

11. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sweet results! I'll take a little credit for helping with the feasibility but you get a LOT of credit for making this happen with medium format and getting superb results!

12. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great pictures, especially the one of your Mom. Congratulations!

13. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I really love this lens. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the image circle is small enough even on 6x7 to give me a bit of the swirlys.
    I bought another lens from Jim as well, but it is only good for closeup work. It won't come close to focusing past about one foot, but at macro distances it goes kinda nuts in a good way. Cool stuff but limited applications. When I get to my other computer, I'll send along an example of the macro lens.
    Thanks again,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    ps: I would post some of my stuff in the gallery section, but since I'm printing in gum and gumover pt/pd using enlarged digital negs, they are considered hybrids. Considering the vintage of the final printing process, and the fact that I'm shooting on film, I wish we could relax our posting standards a little. Drat......

14. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Steve,
    What you have done with the modification of the lens, and the beautiful resulting images should inspire many to experiment with what they have or can buy cheaply instead of always going for the latest, most highly coated lens available.
    Congratulations for a job well done!